Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Re-installing rear brake drums
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Speaking of rear brake drums, what are the chances of removing them without a puller? Not sure the last time mine were off, (the car is new to me) I suspect it's been decades.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 11:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sorry, but is essentially zero if they were installed with anything near correct procedure and torque. I have had cars come in with the axle nuts only a little more than finger tight and they do come off easily then....

Posted on: 2023/3/26 12:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Various posters here have said that a "five arm" puller is better than the typical three-arm puller that is advertised everywhere.

I found one of those on Amazon:

Five-arm rear-hub puller

Myself, I had a shop used to working on older full-size trucks pull and replace my rear-wheel cylinders, the shoes were still o.k.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 12:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You’ll need a heavy puller. Mine is three-arm and works well on all my Packards, including the huge 14” Henney rear drums. If you’re planning on keeping the car and/or possible buy more vintage card, it’s a good investment to buy one but you can also rent them. My own cars all use the taper axles up to and including my former 1964 Imperials.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 16:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I have a 3 arm that I think I got from Harbor Freight; took about fifteen minutes from unboxing it to getting the (very very badly stuck) drums removed from my '40, which probably hadn't been apart since the 1960's. My '37 came apart with even less work; it was a 1980's restoration by the looks of it.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 22:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I'm reviving this thread as I've about run out of ideas to address the grinding of the rear brake shoe against the drum that I mentioned in my original post.

What I've done so far:

1) Checked width of brake shoe and found it to be a 2" shoe with normal wear comparable to the left rear shoe.

2) Adjusted the brakes and test drove the car. Car stops straight and in a reasonable distance but with no improvement in the grinding noise.

3) Performed rear bearing service which included new bearings, races and seals. I set the end play to .0045" with a .024" shim stack on the right and a .020" shim stack on the left. (With the original bearings the stacks of shims were .010" on the right and .025" on the left.)

4) New return springs and hold down hardware were installed while performing the rear end service. Only the adjuster spring was re-used because I couldn't find the correct replacement.

5)Installed new rubber hoses all around, rebuilt all wheel cylinders and cleaned out all hard lines. Brake fluid was flushed and new DOT3 added. Brakes were again adjusted and then the parking brake slack was taken up.

AND THE GRINDING REMAINS....nothing about the nature of the grinding has changed one iota. It still sounds the same and still occurs at speeds above 25-30 mph and almost exclusively when engaged in straight-line braking. It doesn't seem to impact braking competence at all as the car pulls down straight and confidently...just with that awful sound when the edge of the bottom of the secondary brake shoe touches the underside of the brake drum.

The only things I've haven't changed are the drum and the shoes (which don't show much wear). So other than pulling the drum and taking it to someone who can determine if it's warped in some way, I am out of ideas here.

I'm hoping that a fresh set of eyes can give me some ideas. The car was braking fine prior to this issue cropping up and I'm hoping I'm not the only one out there that has run into this.

Posted on: 2023/7/24 17:55
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
I have been a Mechanic for 60 years and have replaced many rear axle timken style bearings and they are not designed to have any end play. In fact they are designed to have some pre load. I think your axle and drum are moving sideways when you apply the brakes. try removing the end play and I think your problem will go away.

Posted on: 2023/7/24 18:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Maybe I have my terminology wrong.

According to the 1955 service manual, after installing the shims "the clearance should be .004"-.007." After installing the new bearings, races and shims and seating each against the opposite backing plate, my final measurement (taken with a dial guage-not the adjustable tool) was .0045." That is what I referred to as end-play.

The thought of excessive axle movement is an interesting one. If the axle were moving too much, I would think that the unwanted contact would be more evenly distributed on the shoes. In my case, only the bottom 1-2" of the secondary shoe show any sign of making contact with the drum. Also, this started happening before I changed out the rear axle shaft bearings. While it's certainly possible that I replaced an out-of-spec rear axle adjustment with another out-of-spec adjustment (and attendant new parts), I'm not sure my luck is that bad.

Posted on: 2023/7/24 19:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your assembly is just fine with the end play you mentioned. They should by no means be preloaded. Neither Packard nor Studebaker nor Hudson nor Nash nor Chrysler etc. If the edge of the shoe is rubbing against the drum, then the shoe is probably twisted. OR the shoes are not sitting on the anchor pin well. This last is a problem I find VERY often on cars brought in for service. The e-brake is drawn up too tight which makes the shoes not rest on the anchor pin.

Back off the e-brake cables at the equalizer till quite slack. Then adjust your shoes with the star wheel till you can not turn them and back off about 10 clicks. Adjust your equalizer just till all of the slack is out of the cables. Hope to hear some good news.

Posted on: 2023/7/24 19:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Thanks Ross.

I used your procedure to adjust the rear service and parking brakes after reviewing your youtube video. (Your approach to the parking brake is much more straightforward than what's in the manual.) I'll reset everything tomorrow and then re-adjust and try again. Maybe I'll get lucky.

One question though...would slackening the parking brake cables and then going for a test drive prove anything about how the shoes seat on the anchor pin? In other words, would this help isolate the cables as the culprit in case that I'm not adjusting them quite right?

Posted on: 2023/7/24 21:01
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved