Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 91

Rich49, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 14 »

Re: Chuck's 48 Deluxe Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe clip was this style--but maybe not the particular one shown. Restoration specialtieshttp://www.restorationspecialties.com/ carries a good supply of these and others if you don't have a local source. You can download their catalog and several of the clip pictures are full size for easy matching or finding something that looks like it would work.

Attach file:

jpg  (4.14 KB)
209_49f7835f3858f.jpg 218X185 px

Posted on: 2009/4/28 17:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since there is only a single hole the trim piece can rotate if not really tight. Thats why most (not sure about 48-50) fasten with a threaded stud with nut and washer inside behind the upholstery fabric.

PS - and don't be concerned about the charging system; rebuilding or repairing a generator is simple and can be enjoyable, parts very common. Regulators can be adjusted but are much more frequently just replaced.

It does my heart good to see you bringing this car back; keep us posted.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 17:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Chuck, Nice to see another old Packard brought back to life. Keep up the good work and you will have years of fun with this car. The center piece as Howard and Dave (Owen) suggested is likely held on with a threaded stud as is the one on my '47.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Chuck,
Here are some pictures of the original type fastener for the belt moulding.

Part # 2356 from Restoration Supplies will work as a replacement. See page 125 of their online catalog.

You will have to remove the trim from the inside of the center pillar in order to install this piece properly. This needs to be done carefully as the backing material is quite fragile. I've had good luck in the past by using a narrow putty knife inserted behind the trim and moving it vertically until it hits the retaining pin which is like a serrated nail then prying it loose with a screwdriver between the back of the putty knife and the metal center pillar.

Brian

Attach file:

jpg  (35.92 KB)
1137_49f792fc5a692.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (68.56 KB)
1137_49f793191e578.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/28 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
I had my generator and voltage regulator rebuilt for $120 at a local generator specialty shop. They did a great job. If you can't find one near you, let me know.

Have you put a volt-ohm meter on the battery while it's running to see what the voltage is?

Posted on: 2009/4/28 18:40
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

Have you put a volt-ohm meter on the battery while it's running to see what the voltage is?

No, not yet. If I think of it next time it's running. I usually take the gen's and regultors to Stackhouse Auto Electric in West Pittston. So far, every generator era car I've had came with a "dead" charging system. I did notice that the indicator moves farther on the decharge side when engine rpms increase so I figure that I'm getting little if any voltage.
Thanks for the help on the trim clip! I think I might have something from a 79 t-bird that might be the same.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 19:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
the indicator moves farther on the decharge side when engine rpms increase

The battery is hooked up positive ground is it not. Almost sounds as if that's backward or else the ammeter maybe is wired backward from someone changing it in years past. A speed increase alone should not result in any more discharge from the battery.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Hey! I never thought of that. The battery is hooked up neg- ground like I found it. Pos+ hooked to solenoid. Should it be the other way 'round? I would've thought the starter would run backwards and engine wouldn't start that way

Posted on: 2009/4/28 19:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yep. Packards until 56 were all positive ground. Regular motors are series wound so not polarity dependent--although there is a question about the heater motor. It would be very interesting if you would see if that one is. 55-6 they were not but another poster said 51-4 are. I just don't remember.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 19:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
After you turn the battery around you may need to polarize the generator to get it to charge properly.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 19:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved