Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Type of gas and whether to use lead substitute?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Don,

Octane was definitely a thing in the 1950s.

Quote:
In 1956 Sun Oil opened its first custom-blending pump in Orlando, Florida; from five grades of gasoline, customers could select the one that best met their car's octane needs and the pump would mix it then and there.
The blend could be chosen from 100% regular to 100% premium; no new news there, but it could also dispense 75-25, 50-50 and 25-75 regular/premium.

jack vines

Posted on: 2022/11/19 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Fun fact that's how all gas pumps work to this day: there's no "mid range" tank.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the pumps dispensing E15 88 are blending E10 87 with a fraction of E85.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2022/11/19 13:11
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Octane was definitely a thing in the 1950s.

I didn’t mean to imply that it wasn’t used then but rather that it was not stressed as much as it is today.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 14:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
A cast iron thumper of an engine such as ours is a lot more prone to detonation than modern engines, given the same compression ratio. There is no comparison.

Most engines like the Packard V8 are fine on 87 AKI gas if their compression ratio is under 9.0:1 and the ignition timing is set correctly. You might need to put 89 AKI in them if you are at low altitude or hot conditions.

I consider 89 AKI the minimum for engines of 9.0:1 to 9.5:1. 91 AKI makes me more comfortable.

Above 9.5:1 I'm grabbing 91 AKI. I like 93 AKI if I'm going through the desert in summer with them.

-----

I have never once in ten years of daily driving old carbureted cars had any sort of problem what so ever from using plain old pump gasoline with up to 10% ethanol.

I've had to jet some of my 1970's and newer engines richer since ethanol burns leaner and those cars were jetted on the edge of lean originally anyway, but cars prior to the 1970's are usually jetted rich enough from the factory to not have that problem.

Unleaded gas will accelerate valve seat wear if your engine is running on plain iron seats and you run it under heavy loads or high speeds. The effect at lower speeds and loads is greatly reduced. Lead substitute additives are just upper cylinder lubricants, and there are many brands of those. Even the old Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam are upper cylinder lubricants. Lucas and AMSOIL also make specialty upper cylinder lubricants. Adding them to your gasoline will help the valve seats, among other things. Modern gasoline doesn't have much lubricity to it, and Packards do not have PCV to recycle some engine oil through the intake for you, so adding some more lubrication property to the fuel is not a bad idea.

Posted on: 2022/12/7 1:28
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved