Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1936 Junior 120B
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
I do a lot of non OEM stuff, whatever I prefer, as upgrades, probably comes from 20 years of trying to find mercedes parts in Germany. This winter I'll build a new wiring harness and insert an line reachable fuse box. Have no idea on the engine miles (as the car sat 40 years), but all indicators of condition, pistons, walls, valves, appears it should run fine. I believe the previous owner replaced the pistons in the 60s and it is probably in its second overhaul stage. Having the seats redone, new springs, etc.. in a dark cherry vinyl with pleats...the upholsterer cautioned me on the original broadcloth. new glass pieces came with the car at purchase. Fenders are in good shape with almost no dings. We are undercoating; they will be installed last after all mechanicals are working. We removed the doors for body painting and I have reworked the window mechanisms, new rubber on the vent windows....

So when complete, the body will be bonnie grey, with black fenders, dark cherry rims and interior and blue engine.
After seeing the shell and door jambs painted, decided also to do the dash same color as the body.

Attach file:

jpg  (105.22 KB)
1537_4ae823fd5e457.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (146.42 KB)
1537_4ae8240f7f34c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (78.07 KB)
1537_4ae824c7ad515.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (80.88 KB)
1537_4ae824dd9ae3e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/10/28 6:03
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
this is my first body-off venture...it goes pretty slow when you work a full-time job. Luckily I have the space for everything. Not bad for an old computer data analyst/insurance auditor, "geezer" who is having fun with this wonderful car.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.72 KB)
1537_4ae825eee92c1.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/10/28 6:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
This picture here:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Looks amazing! I like the blue engine with the red letters!

Posted on: 2009/10/28 12:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
taxman wrote: Here's some images, a few taken with a blackberry inside, so not that great, but you get the idea.......Its a dirty and dusty job working on the frame, so happy that the shell is in another unit and paint booth.

James,

Great to see your pic's and commentary on how you're going. Your statement "Its a dirty and dusty job working on the frame" I can relate to, from experience working on my '41 from underneath the car, didn't do a frame-off! The tread pattern on the tyre in the pic below is interesting, presume it's a period thing?

Attach file:

jpg  (26.91 KB)
226_4ae8a32fcadfb.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2009/10/28 15:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
taxman, I would prefer a green painted engine, but I have to admit that the blue color with the red lettering is an attractive combination. I am interested in the oil filter and where it is mounted. It looks as if it will interfere with the starter in that location. It also looks to be too long to fit in the conventional location at the front of the engine over the generator. What kind is it? Neat car, and neat blog.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 17:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
The tread pattern on the tyre in the pic below is interesting, presume it's a period thing

Those were the tires that came on the car and although they seem to hold air,can't recall the maek, they are history after I buy new cokers.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 8:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
John> I am interested in the oil filter and where it is mounted. It looks as if it will interfere with the starter in that location. It also looks to be too long to fit in the conventional location at the front of the engine over the generator.

We had a thread a while back about how the oil filter was an option (for $6 in the 30s?) and afterwards I started searching Ebay for some. Unless you ask for specific measurements, I had no idea it was that long until received. Live and learn. I have since removed and given to a 57 ford truck guy; that filter had a nice Fram insignia in gold on the orange paint background. I have since found a Packard original that needs blasting. You are correct, after restoring the starter and installing, the filter interferes..so I need to find another place, although there are 2 nice 3/8 holes at that location for something? Any idea what would have been mounted there?
Thanks to all for your comments, always.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 8:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Thanks turbopackman for the comment on the engine color. I just don't like green and in my opinion, its not a color that coordinates with all body colors (i.e. maroon body and green engine :)
Also not into concours competitions these days, and driving myself crazy trying to meet originality standards right down to the required paint. I have to wake up each morning and enjoy the color choices.....as often repeated by many, the car is yours, do what you enjoy. Its like buying a house and fixing it for easy resale....the modified guys know this full well...modifying or ignoring OEM can often mean less resale value, Unless you find a buyer who is after what you did. Years of discussion will keep us all divided on this...but I appreciate those who are willing to take the time (and money) to restore a car to impeccable originality.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
taxman, I just looked at the cylinder head of my 1937 Six, and there are no mounting holes on the side. My coil and horns mount to the head nuts. Maybe some 120B owner can help you. Keep up the good work.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 10:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Don't know about 36's but my 38 120 is supposed to have the oil filter mounted just below the generator. I cheated and put a spin off type behind the fender skirt.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 12:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved