Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: engine shuts off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I always keep an extra fuel filter or 2 in the car. An old 76 impala taught me that lesson.
Glad it was something simple.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 6:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Duane writes: "The gas filter was replaced after the tank was cleaned, so I don't know what got in it."

It is IMPORTANT to cut fuel filters apart to determine what kind of debris is in them.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 6:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
I have had the same issue with my 55 Caribbean as I am driving along the car will suddenly cut out. Like Duane, I am able to pull over to the curve and the car restarts no problem. The car doesn't cough or splutter. As mentioned in the thread,this could also be electrical related. I had only noticed the problem since I changed to the torqueflite 727. It's a very strange but dangerous problem.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 5:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the UPPER distributor bushing for excessive wear.
Remove cap and rotor and grasp top of shaft and check for upper bushing wear.

Also check wire extending from points to side of distribrutor.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 5:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know if your problem is fuel or electrical (probably the latter) but it does bring up the point that even among those who are fairly fastidious about lubrication needs, distributors are often quite neglected; it amazes me sometimes that they perform as long as they do w/o issues. In addition to the oiler or grease cup for the bushings, most require an occasional drop or two of oil on the felt beneath the rotor - this lubricates the slip joint between the drive shaft and the driven (cam & rotor) shaft which operates during centrifugal advance. And occasionally the base plate should be removed, the advance weights and springs cleaned and inspected, and a drop of oil put on the advance weight pivot pins and a bit of white grease or equivalent on the sliding joint of the weight. PM me with your email if you want a couple of typical pictures and some discussion on this.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 8:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not that familiar with torqueflite conversion but don't see the connection unless there is something electrical added in wrong place or something loosened or shorted during install. On the V8's, the two most likely suspects not already mentioned are the ignition switch and the ballast resistor. The Packard key start ignition switches can be flaky at times and is possible it is breaking contact and regaining it when you twist it to restart. Ballast resistor could be heating or vibrating open but would think that would be a persistent problem happening fairly frequently.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 8:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved