Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Ken's 1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
BigKev,
Nice to know the SCs and STBs and Ultramatic Service Manuals are here if we need them.
kens53clip
Ken Dunning

Posted on: 2009/8/10 8:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thank you Ken for posting this interesting story, as much I like the 1953-1954 4 door Packard models,I will keep an eye on this project with great interest!

Posted on: 2009/8/23 7:07
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
On Labor Day, 2009, I removed the front and rear seats cushions from the Packard to try to determine if they were original to the car. Several of them had 2662 stamped on them (which is the model of the car, Clipper Deluxe touring sedan). One had 2 codes on it, one starting 2662 and one starting 2692 which is the plain Clipper touring sedan. Did somebody make a mistake in marking it 2692 (the upholstery matches the other seats)? I am under the impression that the same type of fabric was not supposed to be used in both models. The Clipper Deluxe used striped Bedford cloth. The Clipper used striped broadcloth. The bottom front seat cushion has original fabric and piping which looks very similar if not identical to the rest but really does not fit into the seat frame well, being a bit too wide from front to back. Perhaps the bottom front seat cushion may come from a different year or model Packard?

When the back seat had been removed I discovered that the rear package shelf cover could be lifted off. After lifting off the rear package shelf, I was able to discover for the first time what was in the car's trunk (not having a key to the trunk). In leaning against the fiberboard separating the passenger compartment and the trunk, I unintentionally popped a couple of the fasteners, discovering that the fiberboard was not fastened very firmly. I then popped the remainder of the fasteners, which were not very firmly attached, and removed the fiberboard, allowing better access to the trunk.

What do you think was in the trunk??
(a) Gold Doubloons and Pieces of Eight?
(b) Jimmy Hoffa?
(c) a Crosley convertible emergency vehicle?
(d) car parts?

If you guessed (d) you were correct. Most parts appeared to be used but some might still be usable. Here's what was in the trunk:

1. Two Trico Rainbow wiper blade RB 11 boxes, containing metal part of Trico wiper blades and a small portion of the original rubber blades.

2. One Trico Rainbow wiper blade RB 12 box containing Trico wiper blade metal parts.

3. One AC PCV valve CV609C (with box). I may not be a mechanical genius but I know my Packard did not have this (given the road tube and the breather oil cap). Anybody know what this goes to?

4. One GE sealed beam headlight M150

5. One box for a Niehoff AL-130 6 volt solenoid

6. One used (six volt?) solenoid marked 1465

7. One used Champion Sparkplug J-11

8. One Delco-Remy condenser box marked D-203 192811 and three used condensers, one marked 2D020, one marked Echlin, and the other unmarked

9. Two used distributor rotors, one an Echlin RR-159, the other unmarked

10. Two pushbutton door light switches (interior light comes on when door opens and button is no longer pushed in)

11. Two point sets, one marked Delco-Remy, the other marked Echlin

12. Key ignition switch labeled "starter" in chrome (I know it is not from this car)

13. Echlin RR-158 distributor cap box and an unmarked distributor cap

14. GE 1155 bulb

15. Used brake spring

16. Used fuel line hose

17. Used heater hose and clamps

15. 1154 bulb

16. Used 6 volt battery from Nationwise Auto Parts

17. Wheel and tire with 1950's looking medium width whitewall tire

19. One 1950's looking wheel trim ring

20. Jack that looks original to car

21. Battery hold-down frame that looks original to car

22. A green plastic door lock push down knob matching others in the car

23. A ratty flannel blanket

24. A soup tureen

25. Part of an Atlanta, Georgia newspaper from 1996

The PCV valve, the key ignition switch, and any 12 inch windshield wiper parts are not proper for my car. I believe most other car parts were installed or are installable on my car but I do not know for sure. Since a lot of these parts are ignition parts, I should state that my car uses a Delco-Remy Distributor No. 1110841 which was used late in 1953 according to the Automotive Electric Association, and, according to the 1951-1954 Packard service manual, on at least some 1954 models.

I had hoped to be able to crawl in the trunk to change the burned out taillights but the steel X cross member across the trunk was fairly sharp metal and did not offer much space in which I could easily crawl so I decided to wait on the locksmith. I was able to get some of the parts out with the help of a broom. I had to use a rake to get the used battery out.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 12:38
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As I learned on this website a couple of years ago, pretty simple to get into the trunk without needing a locksmith once the rear seat is out. Just string enough socket extensions together to reach from the backseat to the trunk lid, and unbolt the lock latch bar from the lower facia. Two bolts, takes only a minute or two, and no damage to the lock or car.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 13:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Excellent idea Owen! Have to see how many socket extensions I can get together. Locksmith wants more $$$ for a housecall and seems like every time I get her running good, hoping to bring her to the locksmith, something else happens. If I can bring the lock cylinders to the locksmith, maybe will get a break on the price. Driver's door handle and lock cylinder was already off the car when I bought it. Will provide details on more recent work done on the car later.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/11/25 14:10
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Excellent idea Owen

As I said, not my idea, it came from Rusty O'Toole on August, 2008. If you search "56 trunk latch" you should find the original entry and some other information on the latch repair.

PS - you don't need a locksmith if, once you have the cylinders out, you have a key that enters the lock. Just refile the tumblers to fit the profile of the new key.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 14:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Owen, I appreciate the tips and will check out the previous post.
Thanks!
Ken

Posted on: 2009/11/25 18:34
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
In late October, 2009, had a bit of concern with the 327 straight eight. Was looking under the hood (or bonnet) while running the car and noticed a very small amount of bubbling liquid (believed to be oil) coming up around a central stud and head nut through the top of the cylinder head. Was afraid I was losing my head gasket. Fortunately, there was not a leak from where the cylinder head met the engine block on the side.

Checked Packard Info and found a thread entitled "1940 110 Compression" and found a reply from PackardV12fan posted 9/23/2008 in which PackardV12fan advised reasonably frequent re-torqueing of cylinder head holddowns following the head-tightening sequence in the service manual to avoid cylinder head gasket failure. Thanks PackardV12fan!

Bought a torque wrench and using the cylinder head torque tightening sequence in the 1951-1954 Service Manual on page 22 of the engine section re-torqued the nuts 1-12 in the proper sequence to the recommended 60 foot pounds of torque, most of which nuts were in the center of the cylinder head. Since the nuts on the sides of the cylinder head were tight, there was no leakage on the sides of the cylinder head, decided not to re-torque bolts 13-38 on the sides of the cylinder head, being afraid of possibly creating a problem where none presently existed. Fortunately, such re-torqueing as I did resolved the problem of the leak and replacement of the cylinder head gasket was not required.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 12:55
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ken, typically when doing a head gasket most of us old geezers retorque the first time after perhaps 1/2 hour of running, and again after perhaps 100 miles or some such interval. We may check one more time after that but it's not common to find that any of them will take any additional torque after the 3rd time. If a few of them do, and continue to, you may be experiencing a "stretching" stud, uncommon but not unheard of, which will need replacing. With a "stud remover" they can be removed and replaced without removing the head.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 13:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Owen,
In spite of having owned two Packards this is the first time I have ever had to re-torque head nuts on a Packard and the first time I have had to re-torque head nuts on this car. If the problem repeats itself your information on stretching studs will definitely come in handy. I had better not call anyone an old Geezer. In a month I should be a grand-uncle so I resemble that remark! Thanks!
Ken

Posted on: 2009/11/27 13:37
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved