Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 51 Packard
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Call the seller. Perhaps you can get some cash back as it was advertised wrong. Technically the incorrect motor would affect the value of the car compared to an equal condition car with the correct motor.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 13:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not knowing any of the particulars, can't recommend anything on money back but it is possible last owner didn't know either. Replacements using service engines were a known fact of life even when Packard was in business--although unless the owner specified otherwise, would have assumed the same size engine would be replaced. There is a thread here on the subject in a 1939 model just in the last 2-3 weeks. It is also possible that a long ago owner just went to a junkyard and found an engine when there were no more Packard dealers. With that numbered engine, that would be the more likely scenario.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 13:26
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thanks for the info and the suggestions,,,I have placed a call and will be waiting to hear back from him. Its too bad I can't get him for fruad for false advertising, but like was mentioned if this was a common practice then I will not have a leg to stand on.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 13:32
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It will probably come down to the fact that the seller may not have know he had the wrong engine. But he should have done some basic homework himself as you did and advertised it correctly.

The engine numbers tells all. Never go by the head. My '54 Clipper has the original 327 5 bearing motor, but has a '51 288 head on it. It was common to do that to bump up the compression. Also when you needed a head after Packard folded, you used what you could find.

But even with the 288 in it, it's still a fine car, so don't let this diminish your enjoyment of it.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 13:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
When I got my 1950 series 23 Packard I was scammed by the seller who told me it had a 327 engine. The standard engine for my Deluxe 8 is a 288. After I got the car I found out where to look and discovered the original 288 engine number. I was pissed, and wanted my money back. When I found that was not possible I analyzed the situation technically. The only difference apparently was a longer stroke in the 327 engine and a small increase in power. The car revs fairly high on the freeway with its 3.9 rear axle ratio, so the shorter stroke 288 engine is an advantage. Shorter stroke reduces the piston speed and thus reduces wear on the engine. The lower power of the 288 would be an impact going up hills, but the difference is quite small. It makes me OK with the 288 engine. A good tuneup is probably more important than having the longer stroke engine.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:12
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Hi Big Kev and Fred,,,thanks for the encouragement,,my wife told me to slow down so I won't have a heart attack over this,,I am pacing the floor as a new expecting father with steam coming out of my ears and else where..ha, ha, both of you have put my mind to ease as I still love the car and will most definitely enjoy it.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've heard from several people in the Packard world that the 288 is one of the best engines Packard made, since it has the shortest stroke of all the Packard straight eights. Like Fred said, shorter stroke=less wear at highway speed. Plus, it's a snappy little engine, doesn't take much to rev it up.

I do know that I was pleasantly surprised when I was driving my '48 with the 288. I was stopped at a gas station trying to cross two lanes of traffic. I had the engine revved up, foot on the clutch and the brake, ready to go. When there was a minor clearing in traffic, I dumped the clutch and took off. The dang thing laid rubber!!! Never in a million years would I have thought that the smallest straight eight had so much pep!

Look at it this way, you can drive the car with the 288 in it now, while you're looking for the correct 9 main 327 or even a 359 to drop in it in the future. Don't let the little 288 get ya down!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 15:07
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thanks Turbo,,,sometimes a mistake is a blessing in disguise,,,I guess I believe the sell might not know of the swap since he has been very honest in all phases of the car up to this point..thanks for all the support and all the info,,,ted

Posted on: 2010/10/22 15:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Too bad you're so far away (i'm in ohio), i have the 288 out of my 50 and the 53 (i believe) 327 9 main from dan yocum's estate on the floor while i rebuild the tranny and clean up the engine bay.

I've been tossing around putting the 288 back in instead of the 327 upgrade because i know it was a great motor and it's original to the car, but then i'd feel like i was wasting the 327 and the trip to LA i made to pick it up. If there was a buyer for the 327 and 4 barrel manifold setup i guess i would feel that putting the 288 back in wasn't so bad. Even with the ultramatic, the 288 moved when it needed too, like turbo said, sometimes it would up and surprise you.

I'd have no qualms about owning another 288 at all, and i'd LOVE one behind a 3 speed with overdrive or a 200r4.

I'd also love a Packard PT Boat V12 motor in the car too, but dreaming is free and doing not so much :)

Posted on: 2010/10/22 16:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
If there was a buyer for the 327 and 4 barrel manifold setup i guess i would feel that putting the 288 back in wasn't so bad.

Ted, if I was you I'd jump on this like a fat kid on a fudgesicle!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:31
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved