Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

Aiden, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: "Import Part" definition ????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I have personally found that the folks who complain the most just want straight answers. Why sweep the issue under the rug?

Posted on: 2010/11/16 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
It's all economics. If anyone thinks the market is there, they are welcome to buy the Connor Ave property from the city of Detroit and the Trademark rights form the V12 Packard guy and start manufacturing genuine "Made in the USA OEM Packard Parts".

Let's face it..when GM started paying a guy $60/hr (plus a gold plated benefit package) to screw lugnuts on a Pontiac the market moved elsewhere.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
WHen an item is advertised it is beneficial to both the seller and the buyer, for the buyer to know before ordering if the item is of unidentified manufacture. It avoids disappointments for those that do not want unnamed parts (for whatever reason) and avoids the return process and controversy.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 1:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
...I seriously doubt you can find one car anywhere anymore that is all made or has all content from a single country...

HH56, the Monroney (sp.?) sticker from my 2007 Honda S2000 states that 0% of parts content is from U.S./Canada, and that 100% of parts content is from Japan. These stickers also state the country of origin for the engine and transmission; again, for the Honda they were both made in Japan. This addresses complete vehicles, but not individual parts for service after sale, which is what I believe this conversation is trying to address.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I stand corrected but will still go on the limb and say there will be very few more. Maybe some models but anything where millions are sold I still think will have mixed content or assembly points. I know the original question was about individual import parts. Well, anything for this car obviously will be an imported part for an imported car.

Guess the question now would be if Napa or Autozone sells a switch at less than the dealer under the Echlin brand or Standard brand. Both high quality but will it be one re-boxed but made in Japan right next to the originals or something commissioned and made in Mexico or China and how would you differentiate an imported part.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
HH56, I was just trying to point out the one exception that I was aware of and understood full well the context of your comments. Did not mean to offend, and apologize if you feel I did. Take care ...

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not offended at all and hope not to come across that way either. Also believe I mentioned the curse of being long winded so sometimes the keyboard gets ahead of the remaining brain cells.

As to the import question, it's a subject I hadn't spent a lot of thought on and the original question gives a lot of room for interpretation and various answers.

I just spent 20 years working for an Asian company where practically everything was imported and, with a couple of low end exceptions, was of better quality than the comparably priced domestic equivalent--not that there is much made here to compare with anymore. The real competition came from other foreign companies both in Europe and Asia and the lone US brand selling in the same market has most of it's product made elsewhere but sold under the well known label.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56 wites:
"The real competition came from other foreign companies both in Europe and Asia and the lone US brand selling in the same market has most of it's product made elsewhere but sold under the well known label."

Note the last six words of the above quote. "... well known label".

I rest my case.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 12:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I do not understand the previous post???? It says that the alst 6 words of the quote say it all...."well known label".
NOt to quibble but that's 3 words. Even if I read the alst 6 words I still don't get it.

Help??

Posted on: 2010/11/17 18:44

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hey folks - the atmosphere is a bit heavy in here. What say we drop this topic and move on to something more productive?

Posted on: 2010/11/17 18:53

« 1 (2) 3 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved