Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

Re: Brake Upgrade
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD
See User information
You could always hire a machinist and put on Brembo or Wildwood 6 pot discs in front and 4 pot discs at the rear

Posted on: 2008/1/5 23:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Also for the fronts: 1971+ Ford 1/2-ton pickup had optional disk brakes with a king pin design. This is what Paul used for his front conversion. About the same work as the other conversions including mine, except it does require machinist work and you have to figure out the steering. Paul proved it will work. See for some details:http://www.1956packardpanther.com/PaulDiscBrakes.html

You still have to replace the dreaded BTV though.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/1/6 3:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I know nothing about Packard front suspension, other than 1957-58 (same as Stude). The Stude has king pins, and most folks doing the DB conversion leave the rear drums in place. Mine is set up with OEM rear drums, dual master cylinder, and front DBs without a vacuum boost. Some folks install a proportioning valve, but mine does not appear to need one. I have not tried a 4-wheel lock-up in gravel, but believe they would likely all slide about the same time. Nothing has to be modified about the steering whatsoever, but the kit replaces the braking backplate with an adapter that holds the caliper in place; the rotor fits the Stude spindle with bearings available across the counter. I believe Turner has a bearing adapter of some kind for his rotors, which are FoMoCo.

By the way, what is a BTV?

The positives of the DBs are "straight line" stopping at road speeds, much less fade, a wide selection of modern brake pads made with modern materials, and a pedal that stands the car on its nose loong before it gets hard. As mentioned before, reminds me of the wife's Volvo 240.

Joe H

Posted on: 2008/1/6 18:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
BTV is Bendix Treadle Vac, the worst brake system ever designed.

I and several others have come up with replacements for the BTV, all of which are good ideas. I personally take a torch to every BTV I get my hands on and melt them until they're unusable, something I've learned from Craig.

As for disc conversions on Packards, there's Paul's front disc conversion, which is probably the most stable and secure version, and the bolt on conversion, which I personally don't care for. I just don't think they're as stable as using a spindle that was made for discs, and has the caliper mount built into the spindle. Again, my personal feelings on the matter. I would just prefer to adapt a later spindle to the Packard, and from what I've seen, it looks like F150 and E150 are the only options around.

As for the rear's, when I worked for a Ford dealership, I got out the tape measure on several occasions and discovered that a '94 and up Mustang rear end itself is a perfect fit for the '56s, and I would assume for all Packards back to at least '51. These were available with disc brakes, limited slip differentials, and TONS of aftermarket support for anything you'd need for it. Just make sure if you're looking for one, it's an 8.8", NOT the smaller 7.5", which is too small for a Packard.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 19:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gee, anybody else have that much trouble with the TreadleVac? Not me.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I had no trouble out of mine. But i am concerned about the compensator valve issue as we discussed a few months ago. Parts availability seems to be an issue anyway also as we discussed.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Gee, anybody else have that much trouble with the TreadleVac? Not me.

Those of us who drive our cars on a daily basis do not take chances with our stopping ability. After Craig's 3 failures of the BTV, I refuse to take a chance on destroying my car or someone else's.

As for the disc brake adapters on the front, I have a guy who's interested in making them, if I can supply the spindles and steering arm. What I need to know is if they're all the same, Junior to Senior, and what years. I have a pair of '56 Senior spindles to donate to the cause. It'll be the bolt on kind, which I don't really care for, but may the only viable alternative that we have at this time.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:56
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think Craig had to switch to the 4.5" bolt pattern (junior) rims do to which rotors works on those spindles.

I guess we need to compare the Spindle and Steering arm part numbers if there are any differences between 51-56.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
According to my 55-56 Parts Cataloug There are SIX different spindles for 55 thru 56.

55 Jr, 55 and 56 Sr, and 56 Jr. In each of those three there is one for manual steering and one for Power steering..

I don't quite understand why there would be a difference between power and manual.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:28
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are there actually six different part numbers? Sometimes they have multiple listings, but the part number is exactly the same.

Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved