Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 136

JW49, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Best of its day?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Low speed manuevering such as making a U turn tends to take a LOT of room compared to many other vehicles i've owned including LWB pick-ups. I can live with that ok.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 22:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Everything needs to consider the standards of the day, when the softest ride was "best". TL got there as softly as anyone, but without all the wallowing, which was an accomplishment.

My car is still a terror over bad RR tracks!

Let's not get delusional; my old SUV is a better car in almost every driving aspect. And it has air!

Posted on: 2011/2/24 1:24
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"my old SUV is a better car in almost every driving aspect"

Does your old SUV have REproduction period correct tires for 1956 on it, or lite duty passenger car shocks or monroe or bendix power steering of 1956 vintage or negative caster setting????

Posted on: 2011/2/24 7:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My car is still a terror over bad RR tracks!
Please define terror My 400 handles well over varying RR tracks, but I do have new bushings installed on top.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 23:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
"didn't read the part about no lean in cornering"

I do not notice any body roll going into curves on 2-lane open hiway eve nat speeds of 65 to 70 mph. None at all. But then again i'm running heavy truck shocks front and rear. Not passenger car shocks. But shocks are only a partial factorr.

Pat Green wrote:
Everything needs to consider the standards of the day, when the softest ride was "best". TL got there as softly as anyone, but without all the wallowing, which was an accomplishment.

Good points. The Packard T/L, as a product of it's time, may very well be "Best of its Day"-- and the writers of the day were not dreaming when they said that body roll was, compared to other cars, almost negligible.

Regarding the "Dive" characteristics on braking, that may well have been over-hyped, but the "Squat" on acceleration was truly almost non-existent. In fact, when set up properly, the rear of a Packard T/L car will actually RISE on acceleration. Significantly. Watch from the side of the car when someone accelerates away briskly from a stop. I've witnessed it many times. That rear end goes UP not down.

As far as this being some kind of blindly loyal homage to the T/L and its advantages, I want to reiterate, that is not my intention. It had its limitations. But for a 100% bonafide NON-ELECTRONICALLY enhanced and NON-AIR-BAG self-leveling suspension, T/L is an elegant, almost unbelievable (for its time) achievement.

I just think that there are more true stories out there that attest to real-world capabilities of the T/L, and I'd like to hear them. Sometimes it seems to me that there is an unwillingness to celebrate this achievement, even among Packard people.

Critical commentary is certainly welcome, and we need to give other makes credit where credit is due, but to me, the T/L suspension makes the V8 Packards more special than the V8 does.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 23:50
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes, i'd like to know what kind of "terror" the TL produces on RR tracks too. Mine handles them just fine. Large humps (some RR tracks) or dips in the road often give a sensation of mommentary flight followed by a gentle landing but not what i would call the least bit of a negative experience. Kind'a enjoy it in a way.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
"Today, almost all roads are very smooth..." Wow, you can't possibly have been to the NorthEast lately!! They're so bad just about everywhere it's scandalous!

Posted on: 2011/2/25 12:14
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Amen to that!! And the ones that seem to get repaved in the Spring are the ones that needed it the least.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
When I finally get my '55 on the road the conditions of what passes for paved streets here in Portland will give it a real test. I can't wait!
Must be all that "Sinful Gambling Money" that allows Nevada to have smooth hiways and byways.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 13:55
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
California too. We are the 6th highest taxed state yet an article in the last few weeks said we had more miles of roads overall and more in poor condition than just about any other state. There were several huge bond issues approved to improve roads but so far the politicians have doled it out miserly or some with enough clout, to their pet projects--not where it is really needed.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 14:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved