Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard in Southern Africa
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Wayne! africapackard here!

Wonderfull that you are still interested in our Packards here in SA. I have a 1950 standard 8 sedan that is presumably the only running example. I am busy restoring. See my blog here on this website.

I do not have a great deal of info like our friend Sandy, as I am very new to this Packard family. I have however met some of the wonderfull SA Packard guys and I must say they are a great bunch of people to know. I actually bought the 1950 from a great friend of mine in Rodepoort - he has a BIG collection. I will try to put you in contact with him.

The info that Sandy provided and the photos come as great and pleasant surprises to me! Sandy - I would love to meet these friends of yours if you dont mind. It is always great to meet new Packard guys in SA as we are so few! The strange history of the Afrikaner is also one of my pet hobbies as I am one too!! A pity that my once great country seems to be spiralling out of control once again! The old car hobby is alive here, but I dont know for how long. People are disillusioned and the high deadly crime rate (18 000 murders per year from a population of 48 million)) is causing a lot of people to pack up and leave - mostly for Australia. I will stay as it is too hard to leave ones family and friends. I sometimes feel it is better to sell a great classic car overseas as at least it would not be destroyed in some kind of upheaval here. Also our cars are in good condition as rust is not a real issue.

Anyway. please write me if you want to gert in contact with the guys I know here.

African greetings
Barrie

Posted on: 2009/8/27 1:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Barrie

i know personally the agony of your country and one of my vintage car buds in Capetown...His only son was murdered by intruders two years ago in front of his girlfreind and her two small children..macheted to death. Obviously my bud was devestaed. He told me in a letter...that his son was his 'best friend'..heart wrenching buddy heart wrenching.
Hopefully with time and his vintage car buds he can pick up the pieces..He is currently restoring his son's 70's VW which at the time was wrecked and sitting at the girlfriends. sooo the night I left Capetown 4 of us went to the local sports bar for a few..Rascals in Claremont..My final word to Alan when we dropped him off at his house. was
" get that VW going bud " the next day I was boarding a flight to Johannesburg to see my buds in Walkerville. Had a nice lunch with Alan the piston ring chairman. and wnet to Bill and Petro vd Westhuizen in newlands for a night also went over to Kobus and Ali van Jaarsfeld for a day..Kobus and Ali are members of the VVC. Also stayed with our news editor Godfrey Berry and his wife Sandy and daughter Kristin.

Posted on: 2009/8/27 7:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Barrie??

"Vra die man wat een Besit" Afrikaans
Ask the man who one owns
Sandy

Posted on: 2009/8/27 7:11
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

southernpackard
See User information
Thanks Michael, I will check that website once my registration has gone through

wayne

Posted on: 2009/9/17 3:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

southernpackard
See User information
Thanks Sanford, I know most of the cars you mention, I will contact you privately

Wayne

Posted on: 2009/9/17 3:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved