Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 48 49 50 Instrument Switch Panel bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, the main dash panel comes out with a few screws that will let you work on the bulbs behind, as long as no one has butchered the harness and made the wires too short.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 11:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Memory says that there are black(dark colored) filters that sit in front of the dash light bulbs so that the light supplied is a "black light". The paint I used had better results than nothing, but I was not impressed with the "glow". As I remembered it from the early fifties, it really glowed in the dark. That material caused illness and the folks who applied it to the dash components were made sick by it. The paint use by CORTCOMP is the closest you can get now and I just looked them up and they are sold out.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 12:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How does the paint cortcomp used compare with the "safe" stuff you get in art stores? I would imagine much better but if you can't get it, then are the others a possible option--or is this the stuff Randy found only slightly better than nothing?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/palmer-glow-in-the-dark-luminous-paint/

Posted on: 2011/9/20 13:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I have a decent sized bottle of the stuff somewhere. If you want some (like half a prescription bottle full) send me your address. I have some empty plastic touch up bottles i can put some in for you. A small amount really does go a long way.

PM me if anyone wants a bit and i'd be happy to send some. As i understood it, the europium is safe to handle. thicker than normal paint as i mentioned, and it's like putting a yellowish clearish coating on something when it's not glowing, so if you're starting on a piece that's bare metal, paint it white or cream first, then apply this over it.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 16:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Wow! this is interesting info! I did not know that the paint was radio active. I would really like some of this paint but I presume sending it by post to South Africa will be a problem? What if they pick up on it at the customs department? They might think the Americans are sending nuclear watse to Africa!! Haha!

Posted on: 2011/9/21 1:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Only one way to find out! Easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission, right?

Besides, i live in Ohio near youngstown, the government forgot that we exist here, they'll think it's from one foreign nation to another

Posted on: 2011/9/21 9:03
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved