Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 182

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: When/where did worm-type hose clamps first appear?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If nothing else, those two pages from the Restoration Specialties catalog show what a wide variety of clamps were used in the industry, back in the day.

That sure flies in the face of a judging standard that the AACA came up with, back in the early 1980s, mandating that all cars of a certain period - yet, regardless of brand - must have one particular style of adjustable hose clamp that they had settled on. That bit of foolishness was the beginning of the end of my interest in ever having a vehicle judged at an AACA show. However, I recently heard that they revised their position on that point.

Meanwhile, Randy mentioned discarded clamps. As a mechanic, who worked on many brands in addition to Packard, my dad naturally accumulated plenty of hardware from "take-offs". That included hose clamps, when customers requested new radiator hoses and clamps. Of course, worm-gear clamps went on, but the old clamps got tossed into a box under the workbench.

Thirty years ago, I was cleaning out my grandmother's garage, in preparation for an estate sale, and discovered a small box full of a variety of salvaged clamps. They got no interest when I set them out for sale at a local swap meet, but many years later, a fella was detailing a '50 Pontiac and asked me if I still had those clamps. When I brought out the box, he looked like one of Pavlov's dogs. Word quietly got around after that, and the best of those old clamps are all gone now.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 10:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved