Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Engine dies under acceleration
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Bob - couple of suggestions.
1. Remove the fuel line to the carb and check the brass screen in the carb. I have seen cars that have sat for a long time develop crud in the tank, and upon heavy acceleration, suck the rust particles up to the screen and clog it. Mild acceleration wouldn't cause that, but full throttle will.
2. Check the fuel filter and/or replace it.
3. Drain some of the gas out into a glass dish - your wife's best Pyrex pan will work well. Let it set a few minutes and see if you get water or rust chunks in the pan. If so, drain out about a gallon or so. Filter that and run it in the lawnmower. If you continue to get rust, you may want to consider removing the tank and taking it to a radiator shop to have it boiled out and coated. I did this on my 39 and it cured the crud problem.
4. If you haven't already done so, swap the coil for the one in the trunk. I did this just recently on the 51, as it was missing during high speed runs and it cured it.

Good luck - hope you had the car inside during the last hail storms in Colorado!

Posted on: 2012/6/9 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Bob - it came to me while painting the fence! Check the timing on the engine. I bet it is retarded as least 5 degrees. Reset the timing, then clean the plugs. Those little plugs will foul if you look at them crooked and running the engine retarded will oil them up quickly. You might also check the vacuum line to be sure there isn't a leak somewhere. Bet you $5 this solves your problem. Also, I think the overdrive switch is fine.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 15:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

David Grubbs wrote:
Bob - it came to me while painting the fence! Check the timing on the engine. I bet it is retarded as least 5 degrees. Reset the timing, then clean the plugs. Those little plugs will foul if you look at them crooked and running the engine retarded will oil them up quickly. You might also check the vacuum line to be sure there isn't a leak somewhere. Bet you $5 this solves your problem. Also, I think the overdrive switch is fine.

Dave,
I did drain some out of the tank and got just a little crud out (not very much at all). I continued and drained the rest of the tank, it was all perfectly clean..I think that the tank is in good shape. The fuel filter was older and had a lot of crud in it, so I put a new in line filter on.

I'm with you about the OD switch. When it did stall, I was pressing the pedal all the way to the floor and was holding it there. I think that I caused the engine stalls. Deb drove the car today on a run through Garden of the Gods and had no problems at all. I think Ms. Hattie just needs a womans touch (no lead footer like me).

Best of wishes to all there in Billings.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 22:19
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
good to hear Bob. I would still check the timing if the car is still pinging though. Maybe a good tank of gas will cure that. Here in MT Exxon premium doesn't have ethanol in it. My 51 doesn't vapor lock on it like on the less expensive brands. Have fun with Ms. Hattie!

Posted on: 2012/6/10 17:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved