Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 147 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Gentlemen, I am learning so much from these project blogs and I am humbled at the efforts many of you have put or are putting into your cars. It is inspirational and humbling at the same time, impressing upon me time and time again how very much I still have to learn about doing a modest restoration job right. I thank you all for sharing your experiences and providing much needed advice to those of us "newbies." We are grateful.

Posted on: 2013/12/30 21:24
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
The same goes for me, I can assure you.

You know that Progressive Insurance commercial about the "rate suckers" were under insured car owners are clinging to cars like leaches.

Well, that's what I feel like.
I was looking for a car to restore and if not for this site I probably would have bought a 72 Cutlass Supreme because it would have been "easier".

Posted on: 2013/12/30 21:47
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Two things for today.

1. I've decided to take the engine block and crankshaft in the shop later this week to be worked. I'll have the heads done later on. This close to the holiday I can't get it all done at once.

2. The only thing left on the block is the oil fill tube. Is there an easy way to remove that or do I just man handle it. I don't have a strap wrench but that might be the only way to avoid tearing it up.

Posted on: 2013/12/31 14:51
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should be able to bump it with a rubber hammer slightly at the top to move it side to side while at the same time pulling up. It is just a snug fit in the hole -- no O rings or any other attachments. If the bottom has been painted at some time then the paint could be causing extra grip in the hole.

Posted on: 2013/12/31 15:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I was making good progress then 2014 came along. Been sick ever since that first polar vortex a few weeks ago. I finally feeling better today and another Saskatchewan Screamer is moving in tonight for the rest of the week.
I even spent 24 hours in the hospital as a precaution due to my kidney transplant.

You guys in ND, MN and other northern climates can work in that kind of cold but I hibernate.

Any way I was off work today and finally had a chance to take the engine block, crankshaft and pistons into the machine shop. We'll see how that goes in a week or two. I'll take the head in later to be worked.

Got some "new" parts from Mike Borth auto parts today (below)
Purchased another transmission cool as the inlets on mine had deteriorated a good deal. Also got a set of oil baffles for when the heads go back together.

No real work being down at the moment. I'm concentrating my cash on the engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.48 KB)
5209_52dd9fcfb5ce1.jpg 1080X810 px

Posted on: 2014/1/20 17:15
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Also, I got the oil fill tube out using a rubber hammer

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/1/20 17:18
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
No photos to post today as nothing much to show. Been getting an hour or two here and there in the shop.

The rubber windshield seals are so hardened from age that they are chipping out an inch or two at the time.

Also got the dash board loose but not out yet. I guess there is a trick to removing it. I am trying to pull it out intact for the most part. I know some cables have to be removed and I found the ground on the back of the radio. Its completely loose but something around the steering column still has a hold on it. Would it be better to remove it in pieces?

Lastly the engine block is still at the shop. They have the crankshaft done though I have not seen it and the block has been cleaned but not checked out yet. Its been 6 weeks since I dropped it off. They have a great reputation just really busy.

Lastly, it's been a year since I brought my Packard home and started this blog but have only been working since June I think.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 20:21
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The dash comes out in one piece. Not much of the dash proper will disassemble with it in the car.

If you take the decorative rubber piece covering the steering column at dash bottom loose and look up there are two bolts thru the dash holding the steering column to the support brace. Those have to come out, the clamp bolt around the column piece needs to loosen so the clamp can slide down on the column a bit to clear the dash. You may also have to loosen the bolts and remove one at the steering box so the entire column can drop down a tiny bit for clearance. Possibly the gear shift indicator needle also is catching so make sure that is free or even removed so it is not damaged.

If you want to browse this AC install manualhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/55-56ACInstall.pdf there is a detailed procedure on removing the dash.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 20:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I have already removed the two bolts from the steering column support under the dash. Started tonight on lowering or removing column. I've never messed with the steering on a car before so I'm blazing new trails for myself tonight.

As soon as I figure out how to remove the Pitman arm (I think that's what it is). I'll get it done. I really didn't climb under and take a good look at it tonight because the concrete is so darn cold.

Finally got my HF blasting cabinet running tonight. It works OK but will take some getting used to. Also got a floor pan for the right side. Its just setting there are right now. The left side only needs a small patch or two

Attach file:

jpg  (120.24 KB)
5209_530e960187500.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (79.21 KB)
5209_530e9615c9728.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (90.36 KB)
5209_530e9627ec8ec.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (71.37 KB)
5209_530e964576b51.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:36
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Nice blasting cabinet!

Since there's no coupling on the 1955 steering column like there is on the 1956, I'm not sure how to remove the steering column. But, I don't think it will be that easy. Hopefully, someone will post about how it's done.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/2/26 20:43
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved