Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 104 105 106 (107) 108 109 110 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
....Veronique's '29 Standard Eight Runabout....

Received an update from Veronique saying in part "....The Packard drove home like a breeze. No vaporisation it was a cool journey home...."

Posted on: 2012/3/19 16:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Alas, no, I didn't make it home. Pulled off in Ingleburn to top up fuel....died again right at the fuel pump.

Sitting at 30 degree angle and no start then notice fuel dripping from tank onto ground. After several attempts to start pulled a plug and no spark....so I had had enough by then so on a tow truck to home. Points seem ok so looking to coil next today when I can look at Junior again. Oh, and fuel dripping out the tail pipe....

So I have a gas tank leak, no spark, a bolt to put in the tail pipe (Randy it is close but not into the gas tank), and a carb to look at.

On the positive side, the rebuilt engine is strong, and the rest of the mechanicals seem good.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 17:35
Carpe Diem!! Registry

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
And I lost a hubcap :)

Posted on: 2012/3/19 19:45
Carpe Diem!! Registry

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Thanks for the updates, although they were all tales of woe. But hope the fix/es are simple.

Also received a couple of email updates:

1) From Big Bad Barry "....Thanks to all you ancillary crew who gave me heaps, and thanks to Mal for deducting points for the non Packard parts of my car. But, you missed a few of the other non packard parts I have fitted. By the way who needs to take a camera when you travel with Mal...."

2) From Jeff "....We made it back OK in the '52 200 with no problems. I had my front tyres (tires?) balanced the day before we left with additional steel valve stems inserted to replace the rubber ones - finally fixed the spinning hub caps and cruised back on the expressway at 65 mph with no problems. By the way, Wade had also helped improve the '200's performance before your time at Wade's Shed...." Wade's Shed connection duly noted and original post edited to reflect same.

A further update on the '41 Coupe. Filled up with fuel this morning and came up with these statistics:

Total trip mileage of 287.9 miles or 463.33 kms giving 20.45 mpg(Imp) or 17.08 mpg(US) or 13.82 Litres per 100 kms. The engine now has about 7,000 miles on it since the rebuild in June 2010. From an initial 11 mpg(Imp) straight after the rebuild when it was running in, it progressed to the vicinity of about 18 mpg(Imp) on the return trip to Kangaroo Island about 18 months ago. Still improving, so I wonder what it'll be like next year for the 600 miles/1,000 kms each way trip to the 2013 Phillip Island Packard National Rally?

Hmmm, wonder where that name "Ozstatman" came from?

Posted on: 2012/3/19 22:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter's final report is in and reads "....Well, after all of the problems with the 56 Patrician on the weekend, I thought that I had found the last one when at Wahroonga, I discovered a wire from the ignition ballast resistor which was gravity shorting on the bonnet hinge. The car ran sweetly after that and after Noel exited we continued what appeared to be a crisp 110-115 kph run to Canberra. After Liverpool we noticed that the temperature gauge was starting to rise and the engine started to sound loaded, similar to towing a tandem trailer (c/w Packard). We pulled into Pheasant's Nest service area for a tire check and the transmission got very grumpy. We pulled to the side of the Servo and checked the engine and it was definitely hot, from exertion, not ambient temperature. The trans fluid was boiling hot and some had been escaping via the breather, so that means around 200C. The engine started and was fine in Neutral but there was no Low and when Drive or High was selected there was an obvious excessive load on the engine. We decided to press on but only went 100m as when Direct Drive engaged it started to slip. We stopped immediately and had a think about the problem. I determined that the Low Range band strut had fallen out due to the hard time that I had given it over the weekend and the band is cocking in the housing and binding up the transmission. I blame myself as I had not adjusted the Low range band since gearbox overhaul around 3,000 miles ago. The pan needs to be dropped to assess the actual physical position and condition of the Low Range band. I am hoping that the band is not damaged. I am also concerned that the Direct Drive clutch has exhibited slippage. This may be related to the low range piston over-extension but only an inspection will tell. An interesting item (for Jeff mainly) is that with no front band actuation the reverse gear is the same ratio as Drive and makes for almost 100 mph performance rearwards (if you really wanted to impress the locals!) I have scheduled the remedial inspection for the April long weekend. I shall keep Noel, Mal and Jeff posted on the results.

We arrived at Pheasant's nest at around 11.15 am and arrived at Canberra at 8.30 pm. We had a very interesting detour to Mittagong en-route and saw some very unusual Packards. But that's another story, including a 526 fixed head coupe and a 1938 Packard Six RHD Cabriolet
...."

Thankyou Peter and the long suffering Ann. Ann, I hope the plants you bought at the Water Lily Nursery weren't too traumatised by their Packard experience? And Peter, if you ever do the 100 mph in reverse thing I'd like to be there to see that! I'd be impressed, local or not!

Posted on: 2012/3/20 4:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Phone call from Wade today, the land of the long white cloud is living up to it's name with plenty of rain over both days of the Northern Exposure 2012 Rally. Wade is driving his mate Brian's '46 Clipper and says it's like driving most other Packards "it leaks". Nevertheless he and Gina are having a good time. Also told Wade about the Lake Macquarie Run and the various trials, tribulations and to a lesser extent triumphs there. Wade did mention he had noticed the tail pipe on Junior and had used a bigger washer on it because it was pulling the old washer through the hanger. Looks like that fix has to be revisited.

Posted on: 2012/3/20 23:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:Tuesday 10th January 2012.....Next task was replacing the flexible line between the metal fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. Only trouble was I couldn't find the replacement I bought from Max some months ago. Fortunately Wade also had a new one from Max "on the shelf", so that was used in lieu. And when I find the fuel line I bought I'll replace the one Wade came to the rescue with......

In preparing the Coupe for last weekends run to Lake Macquarie I found the fuel line! Where was it? On the back seat where I'd obviously placed it and forgotten that I'd put it there. Except now it's on Wade's desk at the workshop waiting his return.

A couple of updates.

From John, Appin, re Junior: "....Thought I had tracked it to the coil but a new coil has done nothing so onward in my search. The tailpipe nuts are soaking in WD40 for hopeful easy removal. That's not going to be too big an issue I don't think. Another hubcap purchased and on the way. Cable for the OD ordered but will take some time. Haven't looked at the carb yet...."

And from Veronique, re DavidM and the Maxwell's transcontinental travels because the Veteran Car Club Website only has 4 pic's from Day 1 and no other info. "....Don and David are both very happy. The little Maxwell is driving 50km per hour at the perfect speed. It is going up hills and they have driven 450km in total. Plus it is firing on two cylinders for the first time. The Renault on the trip cannot keep up with Maxi. How wonderful David and Don both hope Maxi will continue running in the same manner until 4th April to arrive at the Sydney GPO. The differential is very noisy but they hope to be able to fix that...."

I'd like to be in attendance on April 4th at Noon at Martin Place outside the Sydney GPO to welcome David and Don back after their epic crossing.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.56 KB)
226_4f6a8b293ec64.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.10 KB)
226_4f6a8b3d54729.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/3/21 21:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Couple of updates from Veronique concerning David and Don's progress in the '12 Maxwell.

Yesterday - "David and Don are still in the running. the differential is making a real big noise and they have undone, removed, adjusted, replaced some item and are hoping that it will be OK for tomorrow run.

Today was a free day for the men to undo and rebuild anything they needed in order to get all the machines working.

So far they are still in the race, and are not coming home just yet.
"

Today - "The Thoroughbred Sports Car Club are thinking of meeting David in Bathurst on the 2nd April as a car run if Maxi is still running and gets to Bathurst.

If they organise a run I am thinking of going with the 1929 Roadster What do you think?
"

What do I think? In view of how Veronique and the Roadster went on the Lake Macquarie run I told Veronique that was great! Would love to go myself but have other commitments, but will try to make it to the finish line instead.

Link to daily photo updates of the Expedition on the VCCA Site.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 16:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Update from Veronique on "Maxi"

"Leaving Perth the boys had problems as the car decided not to function, as a result they missed the start in the heart of Perth. They finally got it started and arrived in York with very unhappy faces. The car had no power and could not ever make it on the flat.

When the arrived in Kalgoorlie, they found a workshop to die for and were able to dismantle and rebuild the petrol tank, the conduits to the carburetor and all the electrical wiring to the coil.

Today David and Don are doing well, at one stage they were worried about the differential as it is making some bad noises.

The boys have now travelled 2576 kms in total since departing Perth on the 16th March. The differential noise has been singing for the last 1000 km with the noise not getting any worse. They are hoping to find a workshop in Dubbo with machinery to fix the problem. They have dismantled the differential twice by the side of the road and cannot see any major bad problem. The pinion is not sitting properly on the crown wheel and needs to be machined, to stop the noise.

They have decided to risk the noise and continue until the end of the rally. I guess the worst that can happen is he will need to get a new crown and pinion cut AGAIN....

Tonight they made Peterborough, tomorrow night will be Broken Hill for two night stop over. (they might get lucky and find a workshop)

The engine apparently sounds fantastic and runs on two cylinders for the first time ever. All the engine bugs have been sorted, it runs up the hills and travels between 50 to 55 km per hour on the flat. David is very happy about the engine, he said it ticks like Swiss watch.

Not bad for a horse and cart replacement of the era.

Let's hope that the differential holds out and all the breakdown are behind them."

NOTE: I've only just realised that the VCCA Site has Daily Blogs on this page.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 15:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The link on the VVCA Site for the 2012 Expedition now appears to be getting updated on daily basis plus the previously missing daily updates are now all complete. Click on the link above then click on Daily Updates then click on the daily pic's you wish to view, similarly click on the Daily Blogs for day by day commentary. Only trouble is no mention of "Maxi"!

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 104 105 106 (107) 108 109 110 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved