Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 109 110 111 (112) 113 114 115 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
IIRC, you can temporarily bypass the valve just by connecting the two hoses together with a double-ended hose nipple. That will let you know if there's not another blockage somewhere, though it sounds like you checked everything else.

Posted on: 2022/11/13 12:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah, IIRC you can just connect one to the heater core, as the valve, front heater, and (if installed) underseat heater are all ran in series.

Posted on: 2022/11/13 12:54
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the tips guys. When I got the car the heater valve was missing and the hoses were hooked directly up to the heater core. I had heat then, though the airflow was really bad due to sand/dust everywhere, bad duct hoses, etc.

I'm not totally sure I understand how the heater valve works. I assumed that if the rubber gasket was good that it wouldn't need to be rebuilt. So that must not be the case. Looks like I'll have to remove the valve and see about disassembling it. But if the actual valve is brass, then I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. The heater valve I have is from Ross's stash...it looked to be in good condition when I got it.

In the end it's not terribly critical to have a working heater, but I'd like to try anyways.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/11/13 16:53
 Top  Print 

Re: KPack
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a long stem with a machined piece on the end that fits inside the brass tubes and seats against a finished ledge in the straight tube. The thermostat part moves the stem up and down to allow water flow to be regulated or block it completely. The part we buy from Napa is just a rubber seal that fits around the stem at the top which is inside the car end of the tubing where it clamps to the case. That rubber seal is what usually cracks and allows the leak inside the car.

Have a read thru Kevs rebuild article to get a good idea of how things look and works.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/HOW-TO%20Ranco%20Valve%20Seal%20Replacement.pdf

Posted on: 2022/11/13 17:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I read up on how the Ranco valves work, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of it now. With that knowledge I should be able to check the valve I have to see where the problem lies. I looked under the dash to see if I could see the plunger moving, but I'll have to take the valve out to do that.

What I'd like to have is a simple on/off valve controlled with the dash lever. The Ranco valve is thermostatically controlled and my understanding is it doesn't always work well.

Since I didn't have the motivation to dive into that last night, I instead turned my attention to the various lights that had stopped working: one of the reverse lights, an interior light, and both front parking/turn signal lights. All were fixed by disassembling the light, cleaning the contacts, lubing the spring that pushes the center contact, and reinserting the bulbs with dielectric grease. Simple fix and small progress.

Posted on: 2022/11/15 18:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I wonder if a ½" butterfly valve would turn easily enough to be actuated be that cable?

Posted on: 2022/11/15 18:50
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm sure a quarter turn one could be rigged up.

Posted on: 2022/11/15 18:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
My vinyl sample finally showed up from SMS, after over a month and many emails and phone calls. I think part of the delay was the post office...apparently they issues with the processing and managed to tear the envelope in half. They taped it back together and put it in a baggy. Eventually it got to me.

The blue vinyl is definitely thinner than the ivory vinyl they sent before. It's a totally different material. The blue is lighter than what I have on the door panels, but I have no idea how accurate the old color is. I wish I had a good survivor or a restored car to measure the color off of.

The Ivory vinyl and the blue cloth sample were sent to me a year ago. The cloth color is darker than I expected it would be, but the material is definitely correct. I'm just surprised at how different the blue on the cloth is from the blue on the vinyl. Thoughts?

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Interior samples.jpg (90.27 KB)
1059_637ab7e0eca06.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2022/11/20 18:26
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are there any areas of the original material under the trim or folded around the back that way have been shielded from the sun?

My fabric door panels look like the are off white. But under the window mountings they are closer to baby blue. Which is what I choose for the headliner colors.

If your just looking for the material, you may want to look through the sample books at your local car upholstery place. You may find a closer match at a cheaper price

Posted on: 2022/11/20 18:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Same thing happened to me with a Sardonyx carpet sample, it's pink but it's really not that close considering they said it was an "exact match" so I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on getting a carpet set with that color. Though I don't really know where I would get a closer color. I wouldn't care that much if it weren't for the carpet color matching the seat accents, and interior and exterior paint.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2022/11/20 18:58
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 109 110 111 (112) 113 114 115 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved