Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 118 119 120 (121) 122 123 124 ... 146 »

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Beautiful job! I would be proud to have an interior like that, especially knowing I did it myself. I took the easy (and expensive) way out by sending my 1956 Clipper’s to SMS but I sure wish I had the time and talent to have done it myself.

As for the springs, I would try to put them in if possible as they also keep the handles from being rattly by giving a lot of pressure against them.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 2:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You want the springs in place. They provide tension to hold the bezels tight against the handles which captures and provides tension to hold the pins in place. Also the 1/4" foam will eventually flatten in that area.

Also, when installing the springs, the wide portion faces towards the door card. I've seen people install them the other way, and the small side of the spring then eats into the door card.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 7:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Don - I've really enjoyed doing the panels. Along with everything else I've done on the car, upholstery is a new experience for me. Learning is fun.

SMS would have done it the original way and they would have looked stellar I'm sure. But it is satisfying to do it myself. I thought I would be saving a bunch of money DIYing it, but now I'm not so sure. The vinyl alone was well over $300, plus all the other supplies, tools, consumables, etc. I think by the time it is all done I'll have saved maybe $300.

Kev - The two springs I have are different sizes. I'll get a picture later today. I don't know if they should all be the same size on the hardtop/convertibles, or if the smaller spring came from a different car.

I'll be needing 4-5 springs, 1 plastic insert, 2 chrome rings, and one more chrome ashtray. I think the ashtray is unique to the 2 door models. I'll check with Gerry to see what he's got.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/4 10:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if you cannot find decent used in the color escutcheon insert you need Lavine Reproductions does the 51-4 style in various colors.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 11:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
And if you cannot find decent used in the color escutcheon insert you need Lavine Reproductions does the 51-4 style in various colors.

Thanks for reminding me about Lavine. It doesn't look like they have the color I need, but it's hard to tell since mine are old and faded. But to me it looks like they were originally a light blue/aquamarine color. Same as the underside of the armrests, shift knob, turn lever, and seat lever. The only blue Lavine has is Packard Blue which is likely far too dark.

I suppose another option would be to paint a replacement to look close.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/4/4 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Can you send a picture? Might be possible to 3D print in the correct color if the design is fairly simple.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 11:38
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also check with Joel Ray. I've bought lock knobs and other original interior plastic pieces from him over the years in the correct colors.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 16:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Here are the springs. I believe the one on the right is accurate. I have no idea where the one on the left came from.

HPH, you can see the escutcheons in the picture as well. Theoretically it should be something that can be printed, but I'm not totally sure how much wear these experience, or how much sun they will get. I may try to paint one first to see how it looks. If acceptable, then I'll go with that. If not, then I need to start looking at other options.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Different springs.jpg (55.45 KB)
1059_642c984900054.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2023/4/4 16:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure if it works with all plastics, but I've seen videos where people hit oxidized plastic briefly with a torch, and it immediately removes the oxidation and returns it to its original color.

I've never tried it, but if you had a scrap piece, it would be an interesting experiment.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 16:53
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I remember my doors also having two different springs as well. But I just don't remember which one was for which handle.

Posted on: 2023/4/4 16:55
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 118 119 120 (121) 122 123 124 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved