Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob, yes, yours appears to be modified as well as the "hump" has been cut away.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 11:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
No, you are seeing the old sound insulation, it wrapped around the 'hump', some sort of jute leaving the hump bare rusty metal. I have stripped that away and replaced it with the new felt sound insulation so I do not have a picture of the bare metal anymore but it is as the new one you have.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 13:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Got the toe board modified enough so that it finally lays in. The shifter is for sure nearly 2" futher forward. So I had to remove the hump there. I also had to remove a section to clear that bump put on the Jag bellhousing.

Now just need to weld in some patches to close it all back in. Then I need to make that engine cover panel above. I made a few more changes after this picture as the engine was contacting the firewall in a few places. It is no longer.

Does anyone know what size bolts are used to secure the toeboard to the firewall? Half the bolts were missing when I got the car and for the life of me I can't find the where I put the two that were actually in there.

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20221208_171549_Gallery.jpg (273.76 KB)
1_639271e79acfb.jpg 1916X1080 px

Posted on: 2022/12/8 18:23
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You are just moving right along with this! Had you been so fast with the Clipper, it would have been on the road in only a few months.

On the panel modifications, are you allowing extra clearance for the engine torque in its mounts?

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes. Hence the reason I gave it more clearance that it had originally. With the way it was touching the engine I can't imagine it was particularly quiet.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious what covers the larger openings needed for that torque clearance. In photos I have looked at the cane socket area appears to be just the metal top of the transmission case. From what I can see there does not appear to be any provision for a boot or covering. Other than the rubber floor mat or carpet is there anything to hide the gap or keep fumes from getting in?

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Mine uses 1/4-28 x 3/4 hex caps. A total of 6.
4 across the top:
2 on the drivers side either side of the steering shaft
1 at the centre hump
1 on the passenger side
Then 2 more, with 1 at the centre side wall on both sides.
Two 1/4-28 x 1 1/2 flathead screws then hold the floor board with 1 at the gas pedal, 1 at the same location on the passenger side and then 2 in front of the seat pan side.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard there is a rubber boot that goes over that shifter. Steele sells them.

I'll have to get one of those.

I still need to fab up the upper panel which will cover the back of the engine where the firewall was cutnout to make it fit. It was pretty much just covered with insulation and fiberboard when I got thr car. I'll make a metal plate for it that is removable.

I bought one of those tools that crimps in rivet nuts. So I get those installed around the perimeter of that opening and give me something positive to attach to vs. a sheet metal screws that don't have much bite. Forming that 16ga metal panel with compound curves is going to a chore.

I need the panel removable to access the back side of those cam covers.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks Bob that's helpful. The floor board (literally) had been replaced because of the changes needed and it wasn't affixed in anyway. No screw or bolts in it.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:50
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Before I get the tow board complete and bolted down, I want to get the pedal seals in place. They are different than the 51-54 style and have a grove on them. Do these engage the toeboard as opposed to the later style that just travels with pedals?

If anyone has a picture of them installed, that would be helpful, so I made sure I'm not installing them in the incorrect orientation.

Attach file:

jpeg  20221209_101019 Large.jpeg (86.48 KB)
1_63935f7901615.jpeg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2022/12/9 11:16
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved