Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 178

Dennis Miller, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 »

Re: 37 will turn over but not fire.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, the #s are low and a valve job is likely in your future, but let's wait and see what the #s are after the oil is added. But despite the low compression numbers they are still plenty high enough for the engine to run and even give you some enjoyable miles, but they will make it a bit of a slow starter. If the engine has been fallow for a number of years, there is a chance the compression values will increase somewhat.

Thanks for confirming that you've rechecked the timing and plug wire sequence.

Don't feel too bad about the rotor, I step on my eyeglasses every so often and they cost a lot more.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Owen D

okay..now added a teaspoon of oil per instructions give or take again three times...First column before, 2nd column after adding teaspoon of oil

Before oil After teaspoon of oil

# 1 70 70
# 2 60 90
# 3 30 30
# 4 65 90

# 5 70 70
# 6 60 65

Posted on: 2009/11/9 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Re Carb. working and delivering....

.Buddy? It must be, cause with all the plugs out, the cyc were pumping little vaporized clouds of petro as the engine was cranking in the test mode.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
If I read the results correctly,,

test one indicates there is a head gasket leak around 2,3,4,

Test two with oil indicates as you say a valve job down the road, in addition cyc 2 and 4 idicate worn or poorly seated rings..

Posted on: 2009/11/9 19:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Sandy, With those numbers your engine should still run. Are you not getting any indication that the engine is at least trying to start?

Posted on: 2009/11/9 20:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Good to see my 37 six is not the only one that has been hard to start. The problem I found was the electrical terminal on the side of the distributor, the bakerlite block insulator was cracked and allowing the low tension to short.Previously I had replaced all the electrical components without sucess.Also you may want to check the ignition switch as a loose conection can also give the same problems.
Good luck ,
Pepe

Posted on: 2009/11/9 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Clipper47

yeah last night I had Turboman in Witchita on the cell and we were changing the plugs wires on the distributor forwards and backwards and then moving distri by hand slightly while cranking. At one point it did seem to want to kick but that was it.

waiting for Owne Dyn for his opinion on the oil results
but tentatively, he is agreeing with you based on the figures, that the engine should start with tweeking of distributor..now that he knows that fuel is entering the engine. the first set of numbers indicate there is a leak head gasket leak around 2,3,4..I suppose if the gasket were replaced, then # 3 which now reads 30 would perhaps come up to the level of the rest in the 60's and 70's.

Evidently you also agree that even with those numbers, the engine should kick in...

Yes I must agree with Owen d when he says that with valve issues, it is slower to start, which has been true over the years.

In earlier posts some one indicated that perhaps the valve timing was off due to a chain cog. Im right now reading on how to check the timing, according to the Packard owners manual WITHOUT removing he front end. The manual says ' a quick and easy method for checking on a slipped timing chain" ooooo I love those words 'quick and easy' lolo

Posted on: 2009/11/9 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
That was me that suggested it might be a chain slip.
This was common on Chrysler's and Chevy small blocks.
The complaint was -" it's been running great , it just would start this morning "

The chain would stretch just enough to ride high on the gear. Compression would still be in range,but cam timing is to re-tarded.

You do have some internal wear to deal with , I think it should run.

Has anyone suggested trying a 12 volt jump ?

Posted on: 2009/11/9 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I agree that with the compression numbers you listed the car should run. I also believe that a valve job would help a geat deal. I am wondering about timing. When you have the distributor cap off check to see if the distributor cam wll rotate around the dist. shaft. It is possible that the shaft has sheared and it is only turning by friction.
Make sure when you set the distributor rotor to point to #1 that #1 is actually on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke.
With all you have done you probably have already done all of this. But, I just thought it might not hurt to check.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 23:49
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
pepepackard wrote: Good to see my 37 six is not the only one that has been hard to start. The problem I found was the electrical terminal on the side of the distributor, the bakelite block insulator was cracked and allowing the low tension to short......Good luck, Pepe

G'day Pepe,
From south of the border I see, but nevertheless to PackardInfo.

I too had the same problem with my '41, with the bakelite insulator being cracked, had forgotten about that.

And now for something completely different, and off topic, could you include your '37 in the Owner Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it? And any other Packards you have please? Returning to normal transmission........

Posted on: 2009/11/10 0:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved