Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 »

Re: 1950 Packard 288 Auto overheating HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear otgdy:

When I said check the radiator temperature with your hand I meant the front of the radiator. It doesn't much matter that the shroud isn't in place because if the radiator is getting hot from the bottom up you have a flow problem.

The incidence of this overheating problem is instructive.
You were running at near full throttle for a sustained period and then came to a stop. Well, do that with any old car and you will probably see the same thing happen. However, the question is did the sudden stop disturb something?

Years ago I experienced Packard Twelve that ran hotter than a volcano. You could heat Penn Station with that thing. New radiator, water pump, and flushing the water jackets, didn't do very much to help. As it turned out there were hundreds of tiny cracks in the block.

One thing about these old cars is they are - old. The metal has been subjected to years of abuse in a harsh environment.

Do the radiator temperature check. As for timing marks Dave's suggestion will work or you can get it to TDC and count backwards using flywheel teeth. I don't how many teeth are on the thing, but if no one can help I can look on an actual engine.

Sorry about the sad V-12 story

Posted on: 2011/2/18 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

otgdy wrote:
Just wondering.. if a large floor fan in front of the radiator didn't help why would an electric radiator fan be any better?...

Maybe because it is up against the front of the radiator and all the fan blast is going through the core.

I agree with Owen_Dyneto, something basic has been over looked or is malfunctioning. It might be a good time to go back to basics. Also agree with O_D that Speedwell Garage has an excellent reputation.

Good luck and I hope you find your problem.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/18 19:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I did a test last night with one of those temp guage in a radiator cap deals and an infrared thermometer. I idled it for about 30 minutes while testing and tuning other systems, never got above about 180, measured at the cap or on one of the soft plugs. Chrome head nut covers showed about 10 degrees hotter, don't know if that's because they were hotter or because they were shiny and that messes with a laser temp gauge. Those things are magic to me anyways.

The tailpipe temp still felt pretty hot, the pipe ended up being about 120 degrees at the very end of the pipe after the tuning session.

So i would thing getting one of these things to idle in a 70 degree garage (yes, door up) at under 240 shouldn't be an issue.

Posted on: 2011/2/19 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I rebuilt my 51 288 last spring, and in road testing it, it heated up badly. Found that the problem was the timing. I had it correct enough to run, but it was badly retarded. Finally had to pull the wires off the distributor and shift them two holes in order to correctly time it. Hopefully you're a better mechanic than me, but that is what caused my engine's overheating.

Posted on: 2011/2/19 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
To quote OwenQuote:
Have we really gotten to 164 posts in this thread and haven't been able to identify the cause of an overheating problem? WOW!

Owen I can't believe this thread is still going either. Could it be that a heating problem does not exist? Maybe the temp gauge should be removed and a light installed? Maybe it's things like this that caused auto manufacturers to quit using gauges in favor of what some people refer to as an "Idiot Light"

Posted on: 2011/2/28 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
One more kick to the dead horse. Years ago, I recall reading a road test report by Tom McCahill (sp.?) in which he criticized a manufacturer for installing optimistic reading temp gauges to keep the drivers from becoming alarmed about high engine temperatures. I forget the car he was testing, but it was not a Packard. Bye.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/28 17:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I took the old beast on a road trip this weekend. Ran for over 100 miles. Good news is the temp was normal the entire time. No traffic jams or long waits in idle and the outside temp was in the 40s. Hints to me that the cooling system becomes marginal when the temp exceeds 90 outside. Actually enjoyed the car for the first time. Now I can see what all of you see in these vehicles. You can stop this thread if you wish.. just want to say that I learned a lot and really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me.

Never had this kind of response from the other sites that I frequent for my other vehicles.

Guess I have to wait for the summer heat to continue this effort. Still leaning on a very big electric fan in front of the radiator especially since I now have 12 volts onboard. (BTW this was the best investment I ever put into a vehicle. The 6V battery alone cost more than the complete conversion and it only lasted 1 year !

OTG

Posted on: 2011/3/1 7:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 6V battery alone cost more than the complete conversion and it only lasted 1 year !

It would be interesting to know the reason for that as good 6-volt batteries typically outlast 12-volt batteries. Unless addition of A/C is in the works, there really is no reason that a 12-volt converted car starts or drives or performs better than a properly-maintained 6-volt car.

Regardless, glad you test drive was successful and hope the car continues to perform well.

Posted on: 2011/3/1 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Guess I have to wait for the summer heat to continue this effort. Still leaning on a very big electric fan in front of the radiator especially since I now have 12 volts onboard.

Looks like you are going to spend the rest of your life chasing ghosts. Why don't you just enjoy driving the car? Is this the first car you have owned that has an analog temperature gauge? You need to go back over all the posts and skip the posts where people are trying to help you troubleshoot an overheating engine and pay closer attention to the posts that relate to what is normal. I'm not saying that the troubleshooting tips won't help someone figure out a problem with an overheating engine. I am saying that it looks like you don't have a problem at all. How did we ever drive cars without hand held IR temperature sensors?

Posted on: 2011/3/1 13:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Bob,

Unfortunately your may be right about chasing this overheat problem.

I wish it was that easy to just enjoy it.

Thats easy to say when your not in a car that has the temp guage spiked in the middle of a traffic jam in the middle of summer. Especially when the temp is verified as accurate using meat thermometers, uv gun, and new SW guages.

I have never owned a vehicle that did not have analog guages. My vehicles include..
65+64 Impala SS, 80 Z-28 camaro, AMC Eagles, 62 Olds Super88, 66 Mustang, many early 70's pickups.

I totally rebuilt these discarded vehicles (plus about 50 others) including engine suspension interior paint rear axles transmissions electrical brakes steering. etc etc etc

Be happy to ignore it and be happy. You going to pay for a new engine after it blows a head gasket? Better yet please tell me at what temperature I should pull off the road ? 250? 280? Assuming I can, there is no shoulder on the Belt Parkway.

Only The Good Die Young

OTG

Posted on: 2011/3/2 7:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved