Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: straight 8 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is disappointing and definitely a question for the company before doing anything to the unit. They advertise a years warranty so would expect them to be responsive.

One thing that might be occurring is the wiring is picking up some electrical noise or inductive spikes and the thing is interpreting those as actual pulses. I'd ask about that possibility and what they would recommend as a preventive or countermeasure. One thing you could do before calling -- If the distributor connection is running parallel to any spark plug or other wires for a distance, I'd move or separate it and see it that makes a difference.

That inexpensive battery unit mentioned using shielded cables on theirs so at least they had given stray signals some thought. If moving the wire helps, shielded cable would be an option on that unit.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 11:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
HOWARD: I did not connect to the distributor...their instructions told me to connect both wires to the coil...the black to the pos. and rad to the neg. which I did.... the pos. pole does go to the distributor wire on the coil...I had called them on that and they said that was correct...I will discuss sheilding with them...thanks Dick

Posted on: 2012/11/3 13:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the tac head to see if it has a switch on it for 4,6,8 meaning a switch for 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder. It mite be a very small switch hidden under a bezel or on the back.

What is your axle ratio, u said something about overdrive. Are u sure the overall diameter of the wheels and tires are 29" as u posted above????

I would not vary at this point from manufacturer wireing specs. But i'm not sure that a connexion at the ignition switch side of the coil is Hoyle for tack wiring.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 20:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Using 2.92 OVERALL ratio and 29" diameter i come up with 2371 rpm too.

If i use 27" tire diamter i get 2544 rpm at 70m/h. So there is definately something wrong with tyour tach.

FOrget the 6v and 12v issue. If u have a 12v tach try that. I've used 12v tacks (modern tachs of the last 30 years) on 6v applications for make shift temprary use. Not sure what long term problems it would cause but i doubt it would cause any.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 20:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
Packv8: the tire dia. is 29" (radials), the rear end is a 4:09 but a 2:92 in overdrive which is used 99% of the time as I'm just off the Highway..I chose 70mph because the car seems comfortable at that speed and I keep up with the traffic...there are no options for # of cylinders on the tach....the instructions given with the tach showed direct connection ( + and - ) on the coil with the red and black wires...couldn't contact Westach today as there not open on saturdays...I'll explain my problem and see if there are options but I doubt it...I guess I'm interested in knowing if others have had this problem and any solution....Thanks Dick

Posted on: 2012/11/3 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'd have to do some calculations but off the top of my head it sounds like they sent u a six cylinder tach. Your engine IS an 8 cylinder isn't it???

Posted on: 2012/11/3 20:59
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
HH and PackV8: talked to Westach regarding misreading on the 2CT34 6V 4imp/rev rated at 3500 rpms....They said "send it back, they would recalibrate it"....I rounded out the formula and told them that it should read 2370 rpms...They will make an adjustment to reflect those rpms at 70mph...I asked if I could do that...NO, the adjustments are inside the casing and they would do it to preserve the warranty....soooo, if anyone is interested in the product, let them know in advance what your numbers should be....Dick

Posted on: 2012/11/5 13:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear they are taking care of the problem but still begs the question why it should need recalibrating. Was there any possibility of picking up noise mentioned?? I'll let you or Keith do the calculations but as mentioned, possibly the wrong 6 cyl unit was sent would be my preferred reason for the problem.

Call me narrow minded or maybe I just need prunes today, but if it was the right unit and no problems with noise or install then you should not have had to tell them anything. Not everyone is going to be able or willing to calculate an RPM for a given speed and combination to tell them beforehand. To my mind, that is the purpose of the tachometer. Out of the box following the install instructions it should be capable of providing reasonably good info. If it can't do that, then as nice as the product looks and the description sounds not something to be recommended.

Off my rant now and I'll be curious to hear the results before I mention them to anyone else.

Posted on: 2012/11/5 14:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I don't consider that opinion a rant, just logical fact.
I think they sent the wrong tach and want to replace it with the proper one.

Posted on: 2012/11/5 16:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
H-PackV8-Randy: after reading your comments, I will agree that it shouldn't be necessary to recalibrate....The unit was marked correctly, for what that's worth...you know,l I'm a hobbyist and I really enjoy solving little problems but I must admit I've encountered a lot of difficulties dealing with providers and supposed experts but I perservere...I'm very pleased with this Forum because I know I will find a solution to my problems....earlier I talked about my radio and received great advice...I'm planing on removing it this winter to have the vibrator replaced...thanks again...I'll let you know how it works out...Dick

Posted on: 2012/11/5 18:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved