Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 145

Todd W. White, HH56, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Vesiapina's 1955 Packard 400 from Finland
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Yes, that's what I meant. Was the white paint White Jade or something else?

Posted on: 2014/6/17 16:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
I also have a question about the wheels. Should they be painted in the main color (In my case Ultramarine) of the car or should they just be painted black?

Posted on: 2014/6/19 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, they should be Ultramarine--but black on the back as they didn't waste any paint on those cars.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 21:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Here's my Packard, now painted! :)

Resized Image

She still needs a lot of work. I bought a pair of fender skirts and have to get them painted. The wheels also have to be painted.

I'm still waiting for SMS Auto Fabrics to get my interior materials done and shipped. They said 4 weeks but it's been about 6 months now.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 7:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
4 months waiting at SMS is nothing! I have had custom made fabric on order for 3 years and still waiting?
Is this a world record?

Posted on: 2014/10/12 20:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
I need to replace some bushings on my Packard. I'm not so good with the English technical vocabulary. Can someone please tell me if control arm and support arm are the same thing?

Posted on: 2015/12/14 6:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, usually. It might be good if you take a photo of where you are talking about to remove all doubt.

Posted on: 2015/12/14 7:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
In the manual they are referred to as the "support upper arm" and "support lower arm". But I've seen the bushings sold for these as both support arm bushings and control arm bushings.

In any case I guess I can get both of these from Kanter or Max Merritt?

One thing that is also bothering me. The manual says: "Two types of upper support arms are used in the Packard suspension systems. The one type incorporates rubber bushings at the inner end of the arm and these are not replaceable. On cars equipped with this type of upper arm, the arm and pivot bracket is replaced as an assembly. The other type arms incorporate threaded bushings at their inner ends and these bushings are serviceable."

Was the other type of support arms used in the torsion level cars and the other cars in the ones that didn't have the torsion level?

Posted on: 2015/12/14 7:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The ones with the threaded steel bushings were used on cars without Torsion Level.

The rubber bushings were meant to be serviced with an entire assembly but those days are long gone and we all press new rubber bushings into our support arms now. Those bushings should be available from any of the major suppliers.

You will be amazed at what a difference they make, and I would suggest doing a major campaign and replacing all of the suspension rubbers while you are about it. That includes the ones at the rear suspension as well. 61 years is a very long time for any rubber bushing.

Posted on: 2015/12/14 12:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Thank you! Yes, eventually all bushings will be replaced but as a student my budget is limited and at this point I have to replace the most necessary ones first.

I'm restoring the car little by little, trying to have a drivable car in summer as our driving season in Finland is quite short and then continue the restoration on the rest of the year.

Now the support arm bushings are a priority. I'm also trying to make enough money to get the seats done. I already have all the materials. I also need a carpet since I don't have one at all anymore.

Posted on: 2015/12/14 16:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved