Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Duane's 1940 160 Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:
I've had my generator rebuilt twice, replaced the voltage regulator several times, and I still have inconsistent charging. I'm at a loss...

One poster fought intermittent charging issues for some time and problem finally turned out to be a bad connection at the ammeter. Failure to repolarize after removing, working on, or replacing the generator or regulator can also lead to erratic charging.

Also make sure the ground reference wire that connects the generator frame to regulator is intact with good clean connections. It should go from generator frame to a fender junction point and on to regulator. If there is no specific screw at the regulator it has to go to one of the mounting screws but should have direct contact with the regulator chassis. Some have connected the wire so it relies on a path thru mounting screws and rubber cushions. That type connection can result in a voltage drop and erratic charging if the resistance changes or the path opens and ground reverts back to various paths thru chassis metal..

Thanks. I've definitely repolarized, but I'll check connections. I've put in all new wiring.
Thanks for letting me sort of hi-jack this thread, but I think its relevant to the possible problem the OP is having.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 17:06
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I did the polarize trick and it didn't work. I checked my generator and it wasn't putting any voltage out. So I pulled the generator and the voltage regulator and took them to my local auto electric shop. He said my generator was fine, but my regulator wasn't working. He went and pulled the top off the voltage regulator and started to fiddle with the relays. He adjusted the spring tension on one of the relays and got it working. He only charged $10 for the effort. This is why I use him.
I ran out of time to install it. Will get to it this weekend.
I will do the polarize trick when I put it back together. Thank you for that information.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 23:25
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
The generator quit working so I took it back to the shop. The guy found a loose screw where I hook up my wires. When he opened it up he found the wire inside the generator broke off. He fixed it and still did not charge me any thing. That's why I keep going back.
It runs great and charges fine now. I can turn my headlights on without stalling the engine.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 7:17
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved