Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: !956 Power window electric motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe the 9 tooth was ever a valid option. There was a poster a couple of years ago that mentioned that he thought a Ford 9 tooth motor would work but don't believe it was verified at the time. I took one apart a few weeks ago when this subject came up again and found a 6 tooth pinion which was confirmed by the poster needing the motor. What I found is the original motor has fairly sharp tips on the pinion teeth compared to modern 6 tooth pinions and the two won't mesh well.

What I am wondering now is how hard or expensive would it be to CNC a pinion that could be swapped into a modern aftermarket motor. That appears to be a possibility on the motor I picked up to try because the pinion looks like it slides into a large nylon worm gear. Might even be able to make an extension pinion with a collar that would just slide over the aftermarket pinion and use a couple of setscrews to attach the thing. Making an adapter plate to mount the different motor screw positions to use the original screw holes doesn't look difficult. Relays are not expensive and the whole thing could be done as a bolt on kit.

Question to answer would be is it worth the trouble and could it be done at less cost than NOS motors or are there plenty of old motors still available and just bite the bullet.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.08 KB)
209_56d8f6c1d1ec1.jpg 640X496 px

Posted on: 2016/3/3 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hh,

gearsmade.com.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 22:13
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As a prototype machinist myself (toolmaker actually), it shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce but I suspect that the original was extruded for strength, then simply cut to length. That would make sense for a large production but for restorers, a machined version would very likely be strong enough. The nylon gear on it, of course, is also a pinion that is driven by a worm gear.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 22:32
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Have noticed that many have the shaft broken off at the end and the shaft cannot be repaired. Mine is intact. The internals of this unit look somewhat like a mini starter motor with brushes and copper wind wiring. Wonder if a place that rebuilds starters and generators could rebuild these?
Sent this unit to Hydro-Electric in Florida several years ago and they sent it back saying the motor was burned out. It does have a blackish patina on it.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 11:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not that many places will do small motors that I am aware of but if the motor is intact it most likely could be rewound. The question is cost of rewinding vs cost of a new or used motor. One company that does rewinding is J Pintohttp://jpintoweb.com Another poster looking to have an air conditioner blower motor repaired found their price to do his motor was considerable. It was more than your new window motor will cost and the motors are not that different sizewise.

I was thinking that something like a Dorman aftermarket window motor can be bought for various numbers either side of $50. Other brands are less but Dorman is found everywhere. If the pinion could be made at a low enough cost and in such a fashion that it could replace or better yet slip over the existing pinion on a stock aftermarket motor, with the few additional items needed it might be able to come in less than the $200 of a used original motor. At least there would be an option and maybe something to cover future needs if the used motor supply dries up.

What I would like to find is a broken unrepairable motor or just an intact pinion assy to experiment with. Make a collar on the lathe and then attach the pinion to see if the idea would work. If it did, the place that Riki posted wants an item to copy so then we could see what something one piece with pinion machined in would cost. Troy might even could CNC something to keep it in the family.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 12:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The fellow from central USA (missouri,kansas) used to turn small brass bearings close to the armature on these motors. He claimed they were eliminated for some reason and allowed the shaft to flex and subsequently break.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 12:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Probably not a bad idea if someone would offer the service again on used motors for sale. Price to take a motor apart, make the bushing and reassemble might raise the price of a motor considerably though. Taking a motor out of a car and having it done for the just in case reason then reinstalling might be a bit much. Unfortunately a bushing won't help those with already broken shafts or burned out motors.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 13:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I could make the bushing, i could make the gear too, if i had the tool,

i don't know if my dad has a motor,, someday i might find one

Posted on: 2016/3/4 14:50
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Randy,
Bob Aller, a former Packard zone man, used to make those bushing for the motors. We discussed it, but I don't remember what he used for the bushing.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 15:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hh

pac sw might have core

Posted on: 2016/3/4 15:35
Riki
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved