Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1954 Deluxe Clipper 327 firing order on cap
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Yes. It has good compression. When I got the car it ran. I drove it around the block. It ran rough, figured it needed a tune up and good cleaning. I put fresh gas in the tank and made it 3 miles before the pump went out. Got it home and pump was full of crud, so was the carb. I replaced the pump and partially cleaned out the carb, not a full disassymbly. I have a line going from a gas can with an inline filter going to the pump now, just to get it running. Its getting gas to the carb. Someone told me to check the filter screen in the carb and told me where it was. I did and it was blocked with crud and "clay" . If I mist gas into the carb while cranking it tries to start. I should replace the carb or rebuild it. But how do I clean or check valves if they are gunked up?

Posted on: 2015/10/11 20:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Can I take the side cover off and check the valves better that way? How can I make the valves move to check them? I ask because I dont think my mechanic friend is much of a mechanic.

Posted on: 2015/10/11 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If you have good compression there is no need to check the valves. If you decide that you want to check them then just have someone crank the engine while you look.

Posted on: 2015/10/12 4:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Well, like I said, the mechanic down the road isn't much of a mechanic I'm affraid. When he checked compression,he had me crank the motor while he put his thumb over the spark plug holes, and said all was fine. I thought there was more involved , which is why I was asking.

Posted on: 2015/10/12 6:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Actually it should be checked with a compression gauge to tell if there are differences between cylinders.
John

Posted on: 2015/10/12 7:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Sounds like it is narrowed down to the carb. John

Posted on: 2015/10/12 7:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved