Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 92

JW49, drock87, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Torqueflite 727 conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Hi all, new guy here. Thirty years of turning both stomachs and wrenches here so please allow me a few observations between the alternate transmixers:

727 Throttle Valve pressure controlled by pressure linkage, neutral/reverse light switch on case
400 Throttle Valve pressure controlled by vacuum modulator (electric kickdown)
2004R Throttle Valve pressure controlled by cable, simple electric circuit for lock up NO COMPUTER NEEDED
700R4 Same as above, larger case, longer tail and ratios not as good

{the model numbers above are NOT typos, the correct model numbers are indeed 2004R and 700R4, seems far too common to mistakenly refer to them both as 200R and 700R though!)

While I haven't done a Packyderm conversion, I have done so with other cars including Steadybreakers and am here to tell you that unless you're going drag racing or towing a 5th wheel trailer loaded with scrap iron up mountains at 90mph then the 200R is probably the best choice overall. Small and efficient and can be rebuilt to be quite strong.

Some other things to ponder:
Best to not use a unit older than 1987, the newer the better...lots of running changes.

Lockup converter circuits are a simple deal, the internet is filled with diagrams. You do NOT need to buy the expense version that has a vacuum switch.

Neither the 200 nor 700 require a computer! Only the later versions which were renamed 4L60E (E = electronic control), and even those can be adapted to work with a stand alone brain box of sorts. Too much for this old dog...keep it simple and stick with a 200 or 700

Have had some bad experiences with adapter plates that weren't centered on the engine's crank which WILL lead to vibration and converter or even pump failure. The Studebaker shop manual goes into detail on how to dial indicate bellhousings, they were originally select fit mated to the engine at the factory (although they and the dealers used a locating tool to do this...the manual shows how to accomplish this without this tool)

Is anyone CURRENTLY offering transmission cases with a modified bell? For the record, GM offered several bolt patterns, Chevy being one and Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Cadillac being the other (I'm not going to get into the oddball AMC Postal Jeep etc variants!). There were some cases that are known as multi-case which combine both bolt patterns...anyway, what I'm getting at is that if someone can convert a TH 400 then he should be able to convert any of the other Turbo Hydramtics (assuming his tooling fixtures don't have an issue with locating on the innards of the different cases).

Well that's probably enough drivel to clog your brains for now.

Posted on: 2009/9/6 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanks for the analysis.

"Neither the 200 nor 700 require a computer! Only the later versions...."

Year range for the NONcomputer required trans????

Go ahead. Clog our brains with drivel. U got my attention. Everyone elses too.

Do u know Jack Vines??? He lives out there in Washington or Idaho or someplace like that out in the Great north west.

Posted on: 2009/9/6 15:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
200 Manufactured 1981 thru 1990 never had a computer
700 Manufactured 1982 thru 1990
4L60 came out in 1990 (replacing the 700 name)
4L60E computer version, came out in 1992

There are later versions such as the 4L65E and 4L80E's but those are outside the scope of this discussion.

If my memory hasn't completely failed, I believe I know Jack...or knew of him from my daze in the SDC. I'll PM him directly

Posted on: 2009/9/6 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My Chevrolet background mostly ends about 1980. So i'm often suprised and therefore not always aware of devopements after 1980.

U mention that the 200 was used 1981-1990. So then, my 89 Caprice with 200 trans would be one of the last 200's and most of the bugs worked out of it???? It would be a good candidate for transplant into my 56 Executive with 352 V8????

A few months ago, JV was also touting the 200 for the Packard V8's.

So with your and Jacks recommendation i am now more inclined to pursue a LATE 200 conversion alot closer than a 700 conversion.

Posted on: 2009/9/6 18:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved