Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: advice on 1952 performance
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you don't have any luck finding someting here are a few on ebay. Some are bare but others are insulated. I didn't see any specs so don't know how long any might be -- or what length you need for that matter. Perhaps a parts store can cross a few of the Standard part numbers and get specific info. Napa used to list the specs and I copied that info on the photo. Napa does still list a couple as available but their site is not very helpful in providing detailed specs anymore.

If nothing there looks promising, even though not as good as the cloth covered wire some high strand count silicone insulated super flex wire would be better than ordinary hookup wire.

If you go with that wire, an ordinary crimp connector with the plastic insulation removed to avoid the extra length and bulk would be a good way of terminating the wire. If you soldered instead try not to let much solder wick back the wire and go under the insulation. That would make the wire very stiff the distance it wicks back.

Posted on: 2017/9/26 15:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Wondering about those black plugs still. Since it is running better? did you look at them again? I have a 53 288 that seems to be pretty strong but starts missing somewhat at 60 - 65 in overdrive. Especially, when going up a hill, seems to miss. I haven't done near the investigation you have, but after reading all the things you went through I have a good idea what I will look for. I just had the carb rebuilt and it has new plugs, points and all that. Need to check the timing and if it advances. Havent check the vacuum either. Don't you just like this site? steve

Posted on: 2017/9/29 23:25
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hello steve,
yes, this is a great site. i just came in from working on the packard. mostly cleaning it. i am waiting for my new ground wire for the distributor. i thought it would be here today.;;;; but no luck.
i will keep u posted
tim

Posted on: 2017/9/30 21:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
Good news!
My packard is driving better now than ever. I bought a replacement distrib. ground strap from one of the packard parts suppliers. Now the car drives very well. I have great acceleration. I even have the dash lights working so night driving is no problem.
The best thing now is i can get out and drive. I thought for sure i would need to rebuild the carb. but i can hold off on that.
thanks for all the great advice.
I should have posted sooner , but i have been busy . all my family is in sonoma county. the fires have been devastating.
tim

Posted on: 2017/10/16 14:41
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved