Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Steering center-link pin and bushing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Probably easiest if I take a couple of photos and post so you can see what I mean, Don. I'll do so as soon as I get it back from the machine shop. Thanks for taking the time to answer, much apprec. Chris

Posted on: 2019/3/13 1:12
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Just an update... I did get my center link back from the shop and the machinist had a couple of interesting observations. The bushing has a squared notch on each end. Once it is inserted in the center-link, it protrudes slightly on both ends. There are 2 corresponding washers with flat spots on their inner holes that go over the top & bottom ends of the bushing, and the whole 'assembly' is slid into the frame. The pin is then inserted from the bottom and when the castellated nut is tightened down, it locks the bushing in stationary place and the center-link moves on the bushing as opposed to it being pressed into the center-link hole and having the bushing rotating on the pin. He said that is why the bushing has a grease hole in it and a slight indent around the outside circumference, so grease can GET to the moving part of the joint. This was all news to me but certainly answered my previous question about the 'double movement' of the connection which to me, did not make sense. The previous bushing was steel as opposed to the bronze or copper alloy the new one is made of, and a previous owner had machined it down, instead of reaming the hole in the center-link. In reducing the OD of the bushing, it had become too small for the notches on the ends to engage the spacer washers, allowing for it to rotate on the pin AND swivel inside the center-link hole. When I reassembled it and the washers fit tightly over the ends of the new bushing, it all made sense. Once everything was bolted up and the joints all greased, I have zero play in the vertical movement of the center-link and the steering is smooth and responsive. Can't wait to try it on the road once my new engine is in!!

Posted on: 2019/3/16 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I forgot to mention: machining costs: $45 CDN, $33 USD.
Oh, and Don - there was no number stamped or cast into my center-link arm.

Posted on: 2019/3/16 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Great and no-play sounds perfect! First I ever recall seeeing bushings that have the bearing surface on the outside but it makes sense in this case as it provides a greater surface area. Thank you also for checking the casting number for me. What is the ETA on the engine or are you waiting for warmer temperatures?

Posted on: 2019/3/16 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Heading out tomorrow to pick up the engine lift from my friend's farm - hope to drop the engine in Monday!

Posted on: 2019/3/16 17:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved