Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Oil pressure and mult-viscosity oil.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I wouldn't dream of running 20 W in any older car and find it surprising that Packard recommended it. My cars all have either 30 W or multi-viscosity and never any problems with either. The lifters and engines themselves are always quiet even after sitting for long periods of time. Maybe viscosity was measured differently back then!

Posted on: 2019/11/27 16:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I think the picture Joe referenced is from Richard Michell's book about oil.
I asked Richard for his suggestion on oil for my packard, and am now running 10w40.
my clipper blog
You can read his oil suggestion there.

Posted on: 2019/11/27 16:47
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is what the Packard manual says about oil:

"Too heavy an oil will prevent starting, whereas, too thin an oil will only cause slightly higher oil consumption. A thin oil will not cause wear of a motor any more than a heavy oil."

So the only reason to use a heavier grade is if the oil pump is worn or you want lower horsepower and gas mileage. As well, lighter grades run cooler and resist foaming.

Posted on: 2019/11/29 6:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Yes, I remember the pics. Of course, you know this car has a slightly larger oil filter than the original one. So, I am sure the pan is in good shape. I did buy an original filter housing, but upon reflection, felt the upgraded filter housing was a better choice for the engines longevity.

Posted on: 2020/8/26 11:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I went to a swap meet at Ross Millers and had a chat with him about the car. His diagnosis was that the main bearings are worn. So, I will need to schedule a bottom end overhaul. He stated the engine did not have to be pulled. But, I am moving in a week and this is not the time. The engine holds 40 lbs around town, but trips are not an option right now until the work is done.

Posted on: 2020/8/26 11:15
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved