Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1928 Front End Shimmy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Folks - I finally resolved the shimmy death wobble!

I had two issues:
1- whoever balanced one of the front tires was off 180 degrees. Yes the added more weight to the heavy side of the tire.
2- other front tire was never balanced. I looked under all of the washer caps and there was not one washer installed nor was there any lead weights on the inside of the rim.

I added air to the tires to take them to 45PSI and drove the car for about one hour. No issues what so ever. Amazing...

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
Gar

Posted on: 2021/9/21 21:08
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Does the 1928 have an idler arm as part of the steering assembly? I am starting to have a shimmy again (if I hit a bump on the road)...

Thank you for your help. Again...

Posted on: 2022/7/6 16:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I know little about early cars such as this but by the description it sounds like a shock is going bad or is low on fluid.

Posted on: 2022/7/6 18:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, you don't have an idler arm, that's typically part of an independent front suspension setup.

You don't give a lot to go on. Have you thoroughly checked the entire suspension for excessive play anywhere? Checked the U-bolts retaining the axle to spring perches? Broken spring leaf or loose shackle? Alignment?

Aftermarket hydraulic dampeners were popular in that era to control shimmey, how effective they really were is a subject for debate.

Posted on: 2022/7/6 18:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Dont know if this will help but check the draglink for a broken spring inside

Posted on: 2022/7/7 10:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Does the ’28 Packard use a steering linkage design that features an internal spring and a threaded plug to establish the tightness of the drag link and/or tie rod end?

29tons posting brought back memories; my library of manuals extends only back to the late 30’s and by that time the Packard tie rod ends appear to be quite similar to the ones we have today, but the drag link was still the adjustable design. My Brand X (’30 Model A) has the adjustable design at every joint and those cars will occasionally ‘shimmy’ (aka death wobble), which is quite an adventure! Re-setting the spring tension always seem to solve the problem in that car . . . I never did find any damaged or broken parts, just a sloppy adjustment. Gar if the shimmy occurs at low car speeds I would investigate the linkage, especially any joint that has a spring tension adjustment.

dp

Posted on: 2022/7/7 13:38
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
Does anyone have a schematic of the crosstube or drag link for these cars ? I understand the adjustment of the ball joints but I think there are wear parts inside those tubes that may need to be replaced like springs and felt washers. I have the 7th series owners ( same for most 9th series cars ) manual and parts list from this website but the drawing leaves a lot to be desired. Also lubrication of same. That owners manual just says lube it but does not say with what and or were. Thanks

Posted on: 2022/7/8 13:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thru 1934 and perhaps later Packard was still recommmending lubricating the drag link ends with heavy oil. Ditto for the king pins.

IIRC the 1933-1936 Parts List has diagrams of the drag link and tie rod ends.

Posted on: 2022/7/8 14:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
We checked leafs and u bolts by inspecting them on a hoist. Everything appears OK and in working order.

The mechanic stated that he has put 2 degree shims on the king pins and used a strut to resolve the shimmy issue. Not keen on the 'work-around'.

I don't want to confuse the issue but while driving in a parking lot, I also noticed that the if I make the steering wheel go to the max on the right/left the wheel does NOT return back to the center. My other Packard's do but they are 1940s era...

(Owen-per your suggestion I looked for the part illustrations but couldn't find the correct image or I am looking in the wrong manual...)

Thanks

Posted on: 2022/7/14 11:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...I think David Packard (he may or may not be a shirt tail relative) of the Packard Boys...has the best answer...sometimes it is hard to find the loose part on the hoist...you might consider having someone turn the wheel while you lay under the front of the car for a bit and look for a joint that is not moving as you would expect. Something is loose! Just trace the entire system from the steering box and pitman arm all the way to the wheel bearings...wheel bearings are not expensive and if they have a lot of wear and not much greece...even they can be the problem...David lives a few blocks from me and I consider him a much respected old car dude! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/7/14 12:39
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved