Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1955 1956 ignition bezel reproduction update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It should be possible to remove the old lens for reuse which is held in by a little clip.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi all,

I'm not giving up. I didn't receive enough interest so that's why I mentioned that it's not going to make it to production and I didn't want to hang on to people's money that have already paid.

I'm afraid that a cast part will be just as weak as the original. It's a zinc alloy which I found out, (after doing some more research), was the main ingredient in pot metal.

I don't want to sell a mediocre product.

Here's what I suggest.

1. I design the part in CAD and check on what it would cost to have it CNC machined

2. I have it machined out of Stainless steel and polished

or

3. I have it machined out of mild steel and chromed

I still need one sample to measure. It doesn't have to be pristine as long as one 'ear' is still attached I can duplicate it in CAD.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Crin

Posted on: 2022/8/28 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I still think cast in zinc alloy will be as good as the original and the way to go, no more mediocre than wen it left the factory. Not trying to reinvent the wheel and I'm sure you can sell all you make but you pulled the plug too soon before the last three were sold and they have since had interest. I don't think anyone cares that you hold the money while waiting to make the parts as nothing happens overnight anyway. However, now I'm a bit leery of it.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 15:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Crin, In post #17 Mike from Tucson Packards has offered up a NOS bezel for use as a pattern. He also might have an old ignition switch he could loan along with the bezel so you can see exactly how they fit together. The bezel will need both tabs intact to be used as a direct pattern as the tabs are not the same because of the large and small size pins on the switch. After he gets settled from his recent trip maybe you and Mike could touch bases via PM and work out the next step. After you see a bezel and what is involved then could come back with what you think is the best solution for a repro material and if the original price would hold. Go from there on deciding if it would still be a viable project.

I am also of the opinion that a nickel alloy casting would work just fine. As others have pointed out, originals lasted a long time and many of us won't be around to see a failure even if the repro only lasts half as long as the original. Weakening the spring a tad for a bit less strain is not a terrible idea either.

If there is a problem or a long delay getting a bezel from Mike then I can supply one and a switch but with the scratches, my bezel is not really that great to use as a pattern.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 16:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved