Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 123

Packard Don, happy, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1949 Packard 288 Full Restoration Project in Florida
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FlippinMastaT
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
If the crank was at spec, then must be low miles? Odometer reading?
I suspect since it was not a wear issue, that maybe one or more valves or rings were stuck giving the "0" compression and may have avoided a rebuild. ie; it had to turn over to get those figures. No signs of cracks or other causes/leaks were noted.
Starting fresh is good, no issue, just curious. My '49 odo was around 45K, reportedly sat 5 years, and it ran just fine after resurrection. Took about a month to get it all repaired. Slight valve noise in need of adjustment but idled nicely and quietly at 400 with no overheat. Glad I didn't tear motor down. I was deciding whether to restore or hot rod. I drove it around the neighborhood for a while before tearing it apart as it sits.
Wish I had your enthusiasm.

I'll check the odometer this weekend. I think it is somewhere in the 40k range. The low compression was due to the piston rings being broken on a few of the cylinders and frozen to where there was no spring on a few others. I have run into this issue before on a few other motors in the past that have just sat for a long time.

This was my second flathead motor and first straight 8 that I have worked on, so I wasn't too disappointed about having to do a rebuild.

Posted on: 2023/1/11 19:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Packard 288 Full Restoration Project in Florida
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah I would have tried to add some MMO and slowly turned it over for a couple days to free stuck rings. Obviously it's not gonna fix the broken rings if there are any, but just my

Posted on: 2023/1/11 21:49
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved