Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: A variety of questions about newly acquired '54 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you do the diagram, also measure the depth. If memory serves, there is a difference.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Not needed Carl, I have both transmissions and can do the comparison, it's just that one of them is 130 miles from me at this point.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 0:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
A pic would help... In one of my old book series, there was mention of the advantages of putting a driver controlled valve in the intake for long downhill stretches. IIRC, the idea was that you would kill the ignition on a hill and open the valve. IT was an older manual, and i cant remember what the supposed benifit was. Ill have to check when im neareer to mymanuals again.

The Manual is the 1923ish Edition of Audells Engineers and Mechanics guide. Obviously older than the vehicle in question, But an older driver might havve modified it... I also remember someone saying they had seen it relisted in a later edition of a similar manual.

Just another thought.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 19:24
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Davis
See User information
Thanks for the possible clue on this odd device. I will try to get a photo of it posted in the next few days. It's a little hard to get to.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Wolf whistles or some times called an Exhaust whistle was common in the 20's and 30's. They mounted to the ex. manifold. JCWhitney sold them.
But there was also some kind of whislte or horm that connected to the intake manifold too. That's what it mite be too.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 12:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I have one of those "Hollywood Wolf Whistles" on my Packard. It mounts on the intake manifold, not the exhaust.

It's a lot of fun

Posted on: 2009/5/15 14:54
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"In one of my old book series, there was mention of the advantages of putting a driver controlled valve in the intake for long downhill stretches. IIRC, the idea was that you would kill the ignition on a hill and open the valve. IT was an older manual, and i cant remember what the supposed benifit was. Ill have to check when im neareer to mymanuals again.

The Manual is the 1923ish Edition of Audells Engineers and Mechanics guide. "

I can see this working as a sort of "Jake brake" as used on diesel trucks. You could use engine braking when descending hills without wasting gas. If you did this without the valve, the muffler would fill with gas and blow up like a bomb when you turned the ignition back on. But bypassing the carb with a fresh air valve would prevent the backfire, and avoid wasting gas.

Cars back then had primitive brakes, mechanical not hydraulic, and on the back wheels only. They would quickly burn out and fail on a long downhill stretch if you did not use engine braking.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i thought of the wolf whistle too, but obviously behind a few others!

Rusty, im still away from my manuals but im pretty sure that wasnt what they were thinking of. Its a great idea though, and would probably work quite well!

Hmmmm. i just remembered that that series also has some mention of the Packard twin six... I gotta get to the books....!

Posted on: 2009/5/15 22:42
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
HEY Eric, best i can remember, my uncle told me the pans are the same, but the dipstick and tube are way different. i'll see him tomarrow, he's up from tx on the way to p/u a 51 he just bought. i'll ask him then.

Posted on: 2009/5/17 1:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The dipstick and tube are different because pre-'54 without Gear Start didn't have a dipstick. Or tube....

Posted on: 2009/5/17 4:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved