Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 93

Danny, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: fender mounted rear view mirrors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
KevinAZ (and Bob1951)-

I believe it was the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 that first required, among other things, the installation of an outside rearview mirror as standard equipment in production of all new motor vehicles, but only for the driver's side.

Alternate syles of outside rearview mirrors would still appear in accessory catalogs, like the cable-operated remote-controlled mirrors - as an available step up. GM's body-colored, bullet-style sport mirrors have always been one of my favorites, but I'm not sure those would look right on any '50s-era car.

Prior to that Act, outside rearview mirrors were purely optional.

Yet, while Federal laws generally take precedence over state laws that regulate the same activity, I don't know if any of the states may have had laws requiring the use of such mirrors prior to 1966.

Used to be most cops wouldn't fuss over such things on when it came to an antique motor vehcile, but these days, it might pay to do a little resarch and keep a copy of any relevant legislation in the glove box to back up your defense.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 12:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

Though modified a bit for use on 55-56, the same basic design of outside rearview mirror was used on 51-54 Packards, and mounted at the belt molding.

That installation and layout is covered in the "Accessories" section of the 51-54 shop manual, but due to the difference in the design of the doors, I don't suggest anyone follow the 51-54 dimension for locating the mirror, fore-aft, on a 55-56 car.

However, I can't tell, from the shop manual pages (as scanned), whether the 51-54 mirror is actually secured to the door or is simply fastened to the belt molding.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The 56 door has a factory moulding clip hole about 1/2" rearward of the CV glass divider strip. The hole is just rite size for a #12 or #10 revnut.

UTILIZE that hole w/revnut installed to act as an anchor for one of the miror mounting screws. That holds the mirror AND the strip firmly to the door.

The other mirror screw is just screwed into a fish plate on the back of the SS trim strip because i really hate to drill holes in OEM platform.

It works just fine. Mirror position is excellent or at least i think so.

If i do it over again i'll most likely go ahead and drill another hole in the door for another revnut to really get that mirror screwed in there TIGHT!!!

Let me put it this way: Even my factory pristene 89 Caprice mirror is no more solid than the above described set up on my Packard. I grabbed it by hand and tested it. That was the criteria i used to determine whether or not to make it anny more stout.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 18:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Although I have seen it stated in many publications that the only options in a 55-56 Caribbean were wire wheels and AC, what about TwinTraction and rearview mirrors?

Posted on: 2010/2/11 22:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I've seen it in PMCC print somewhere that Twin Traction was also an option. I've always thought that outside RV mirrors were a dealer job which is why many cars were delivered with aftermarket mirrors, the dealer offering to save the customer a few bucks over the factory accessory (not option), I suppose. Yankee mirrors were especially common.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 9:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
According to the Trade Letters, which I used to compose the RPO (Build Code) Charts for this site (though I don't have ALL of them), the only optional equipment for 1955-56 Caribbeans was:

Air Conditioning (AC) - '56 only

White Sidewall Tires, 8.20 x 15 (OT) - '56 only

Solex Glass, with Shaded Plastic Windshield (SF)

Solex Glass (SG)

Chrome Wire Wheels (CW)

Lustre Seal (LS) - '56 only

Twin Traction Safety Differential (PL)

Some of the items sold through the dealership as factory-approved accessories were also available as regular production options. The outside rearview mirror appears to have been offered as a dealer-installation only, which clearly provided an opportunity for the aftermarket - one that may account for so many styles and instances of non-authentic mirrors that we've seen on these cars. Yet, it struck me odd that something like Luster Seal was offered both ways.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks Brian, left room for dealers to make a buck.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
the build sheets for the 5699'S show 1 car shipped with 2 mirrors and licensce plate frame, 1 with PA469482 L, 1 with PA469482R/L 5697'S show 1 with PA469515 spotlite L 2 with PA469482 L, 5687's many with PL installed in field 1 with vanity mirror 2 side mirrors, 13 with PA469482 Mirror L, 1 with 469515 spotlight and mirror L,1 with PA469482 R/L

Posted on: 2010/2/12 17:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
56executive, it is truly gracious of you to share tidbits of information from the original shipping orders or build slips, it adds significantly to our knowledge of these cars, and with the best authority.

May I ask what your ultimate intentions are with regard to these documents? I believe you are offering copies for sale, but we would hope at some point you'd write a publication summarizing them, and then put them in the public domain, or perhaps donating them to a good repository like the Packard Proving Grounds library?

Posted on: 2010/2/12 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
56Executive. Do u have any documentation indicating fog lights for the 55 or 56's

Posted on: 2010/2/12 18:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved