Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 85

BigKev, Don B, 1929ClubSedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: '55-'56 A/C Systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
HH56, Did you mention in a previous post that there was an ultramatic transmission rebuilder in Fresno? I live in Modesto so if I ever needed to have mine rebuilt Fresno is close. Would be nice to have on file.
Thank you
John

Posted on: 2009/9/7 16:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
John, wish I could help. Used to be a couple of shops here that worked on them but none I know of any more. After one shop botched one on a friends car & no one else could be found, I dabbled & did a few local freebies. That was in my younger days when I was active and had the interest. Believe closest now is Custom Auto in Santa Ana.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Thanks, My trans. is fine now but you never know when.

John

Posted on: 2009/9/7 18:05
 Top  Print   

Re: '55-'56 A/C Systems (A/C Fan)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Luck find; I think? When I started this restoration nearly (9) years ago with my pop in law (now deceased), the first thing we removed was the under dash a/c unit. I still remember the size, girth & weight of the darn compressor and thought what in the hell am I getting into? Anyway, as the years and the memory faded, I lost track of parts despite having learned to NEVER throw anything any marked PACKARD. And yesterday, I rediscovered the fan that was once on my '55 400. (See attached)

I bead-blasted it today and and press fitted onto the water pump housing and it looks good to me (but then I was sipping a couple of Budweisers during the time).

Question 1: Can anyone tell me if they recognize the fan and the markings it carries? Is it of Packard manufacture?

Question 2: The fact that the holes in the fan are less than round, will that matter rendering the fan dangerous to use? If not, what if I were to re-drill the holes on the fan's hub by off-setting new holes 45 degrees, thus centering new holes between the less round ones?

Thank-you.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.96 KB)
20_4aa5a59e17915.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.52 KB)
20_4aa5a5abc843f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (116.13 KB)
20_4aa5a5b654225.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/7 19:48
 Top  Print   

Re: '55-'56 A/C Systems (A/C Fan)
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Note the "DPCD" stamped on the fan in a square format. That is Dodge, plymouth, chrysler, DeSoto.

The fan would most likely run just fine. The bolt holes are not the issue. It is the center hole over the flange on the hub. It is probably filed out also.

I would go ahead and try it. Most likely ok. When the engine is running just take a look at it to see if it is running true. A little bit of offset is ok.

But then again, if u absolutely have to have a "legitimate Packard fan" then that one won't fit your needs. Otherwise i would think it will work just fine.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 20:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks much Keith. I learned something new this evening about those markings. Further, I intend on using the fan now that the critical fit is in the center around the hub and not with the holes. It fits snug & "square". And that amount of "correctness" is something I'll probably get 'excommunicated' for from the Packard club when I show the car first time out! I also sent you a PM.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just for reference, here is a slightly worse for wear 55-6 AC fan. 18 3/4 diameter

Attach file:

jpg  (59.62 KB)
209_4aa5bb751acee.jpg 1000X507 px

Posted on: 2009/9/7 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks HH56. Now maybe with Keith's identification of the DCPD fan, we could possibly add this info to the 55-56 Packard 'crossover' info files. The Packard correct fans are scarce and as hen's teeth so to speak and very expensive if you can find one. I tried to buy an original for $400 on ebay just weeks ago and lost the auction. That was before I found this fan. I think now I'll have it powder-coated since I didn't shell out the presidents for the one on ebay.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Kevin. BE careful! Measure the overall diameter of the fan. Need to make sure that it will not hit radiator hoses if it is much larger than Packard fan.

If someone has a Packard Fan try to compare them side-by-side as much as possible. It is very likely that the Packard and Mopar fans are the same. Each company just punched mounting holes in different locations.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 7:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks Keith. Those kind of suggestions I really take to heart. Note, I just went outside & measured the CDPD fan. It has an overall lenght of 17" flat. Going to drop it and shroud that hides the water pump over at the powder-coater tomorrow morning. I tried making a posting over at AACA to see if someone would provide a crossover for other makes but no luck yet.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 20:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved