Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 51 Packard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Turbo, would I need a 4 barrell set up for this?? or would this drop right in??

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Drop right in, but my understanding of Cortcomp's post there makes me think that he has the 4bbl setup. I'd go for the 4bbl setup, it'll make the 327 a lot more fun. There shouldn't be anything you'll have to do to drop in in there, and all your accessories will bolt right up to the 327, starter, generator, water pump, etc. The manifolds are different, the 288 has smaller ports.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
WOW,,now that is something to think about,,,my wife was laughing ,,,saying well here we go again out of state for something,,,I told her it was like playing the lotto,,nothing is guranteed.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well, look at it this way, the engine that Cortcomp has has been rebuilt IIRC, and is ready to go. It's the correct size and configuration for your car, and I'm sure you couldn't buy one and rebuild it for what he'd want for it. If he's willing to let it go it's worth a road trip. Incidentially, I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but I know for a certainty that a Ford Ranger can handle that engine rather easily with no ill effects, even a 4cly manual trans one. A little pickup and a couple of nights in a hotel room would be the cheapest, easiest way to go I'd think.

NEVER doubt the abilities of a Ford Ranger!

Attach file:

jpg  (21.67 KB)
34_4cc21dc680a47.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Ted
don't feel to bad. When I bought my Clipperrod I was told that it has a 374 engine with twin four barrels on it. It turns out to be a 352. The engine runs to good to bother replacing it even though I have a rebuilt short block and a complete engine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ALK

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:49
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, but a Clipper never had a 374 from the factory, his Patrician is supposed to have a 327. In order for it to be essentially correct it needs to have a 9 main 327 in it.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 19:21
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Gentlemen,,,I think for right now I will try to get this little darling up to speed as far as fixing a couple of leaks that I know of and then a good buff job,a little touch up paint wise,and then a good wax job and take it for a good spin and see where I am at.

Today was totally out of mind experience because of finding out about the engine. I should have applied myself earlier in the week when the car was delivered instead of just sitting back and going OHHH, AHHH, and Wow. My Bad,, but it was very interesting today to say the least and one big THANK YOU to all of you for the support,information, and patience with me .

I think on the east coast it is about 8:30 pm and back here in Az. it's around 5:30 so it is time for a few maybe many Johnny Walker Reds. Thanks again!!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's better than getting it home and finding out it had a 350 Chevy in it!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:
It's better than getting it home and finding out it had a 350 Chevy in it!

Amen to that!

Turbo, if i use the 327 i was planning to keep the 2 barrel 288 manifold that i did notice had smaller runners but didn't check the port sizes on the motor. (I'm assuming if the port sizes are the same that the smaller runners are to keep velocity up in the smaller carb that isn't drawing as much air.)

(I don't have any good 4 barrel carbs, although summit sells one reman for cheap that is supposed to be the right pattern and for a 327 V8 that i thought wouldn't be bad to start with to figure out jetting. I also have some ROUGH cores from Dan Yocum's place.)

I know it's not optimal performance-wise, but will the 2 barrel 288 setup work on the 327 ok? I didn't even think to check engine port size. The 4 barrel doesn't have two bolt boses for the linkage that goes to the carb/down to the ultramatic throttle control linkage.

Also, I'd lose the vacuum switch in the carb plate that turns the starter over when you push the pedal down all the way when it's off but doesn't let the starter turn if you push it down while it's running. I hated to make it a regular starter switch setup because i thought it was kind of cool.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 22:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Somewhere I've got a good WCFB that should fit the the bolt pattern, but I can't remember if it has the carb switch or not..

As for running a two barrel on it, well, the 5 main 327 had a two barrel, and I don't see why it wouldn't work, and may actually be a little more snappier with a smaller venturi carb.

I'd still double check the diameter of the ports from one engine to another, but I doubt that there's enough difference to really be concerned about. If you were trying to put a 288 intake on a 356 then I'd have to disagree.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 22:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved