Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: Interior restoration question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

37buscoupe
See User information
Hello, I am restoring my 37 115C bus coupe. (Seat backs and headliner looks orig) I want to stay original on the interior but am easily in favor of more modern material if it is superior in durability, comfort, stain resistancy, etc. Appreciate your thoughts on this matter. RL

Posted on: 2010/12/1 15:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
RL, My thoughts are that it all depends on how much you want to spend or can afford and what you want to do with the car. If you want to show and display the car at judged events or if you are just interested in restoring the car to authentically then original fabric is the way to go.
When I bought my '47 Super Clipper the fabric needed replacing and I agonized for two years about whether to go with authentic style and fabric material which was available or reupholster in a more modern stain resistant fabric. The car had some original interior that was salvageable but was water stained and faded and the authentic fabric was much brighter and would have been obvious that some was new and some old.
My decision to go with a modern fabric was based on several factors.
1.I didn't like the colour or the pattern of the original fabric.
2. Original fabric was going to cost more than $100US ($160Canadian at the time)per yard and my upholsterer needed 13 yards. Modern fabric was about $30 per yard.
3. I had no intention of showing the car at an AACA, CCCA or PAC meet but wanted a car for local shows and one that I would be using as a tour car where absolute authenticity is not a big issue.
4. Modern fabric chosen is more stain resistant and was in a colour that in my opinion complimented the exterior colour of the car.
5. The Packard is not rare nor especially valuable and the added cost to have the interior authentic would not materially add to the value of the car.
The bottom line is that it is your car and what you decide should be what you feel is the best decision for you.
These are just my thoughts. I am sure others will chime in.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
In my not-so-humble-opinion, DO WHAT YOUR WALLET CAN AFFORD! Most of us have our Packards for enjoyment, not trophies. Were I to have the choice between spending $1500-2000 on my interior alone, versus maybe $500-700 and still have some left over for whatever, well....!

Posted on: 2010/12/1 19:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
There is a great deal of difference in the Bedford cloth interiors in earlier cars and the Jacquard (I believe that's the right term) that's found in the 55 & 56 senior cars. The cloth material with the metallic threads that came in these cars was much more durable than the Bedford cloth in the older cars - if, to me, slightly less comfortable. It is also quite expensive nowadays but holds up extremely well especially when compared to most of the modern materials used. At age 55 the rear upholstery and seat in my 55 Pat is in better shape than that in many two or three year old modern vehicles.

As to your seats, Packard used coil springs, thick horsehair padding and quality underlayment between the springs and upholstery rather than the interlinked flat "spring" assemblies, foam and artificial underlayment commonly used in cars of today (and most of its competitors in the day).

The seats in my 55 Pat are constructed, spring-wise, like quality furniture and were upholstered for maximum durability in high quality leather and TOUGH material. When my upholsterer examined my front seat he remarked, "This is my first Packard but I've never seen seats like this in anything but a Rolls."

Posted on: 2010/12/20 10:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As to your seats, Packard used coil springs, thick horsehair padding and quality underlayment between the springs and upholstery rather than the interlinked flat "spring" assemblies, foam and artificial underlayment commonly used in cars of today (and most of its competitors in the day).

Certainly not true of all models and years, for example the 22/23rd series juniors used the simple zig-zag (flat) spring style you describe, while the Custom 8 still used the individually wrapped and adjustable Marshall springs construction.

The material I'm familiar with is Bedford Cord, not Bedford cloth though perhaps it's known by both names. It was most often used in conjunction with leather in a combination seat upholstery in convertibles as an option. The heavy wool broadcloth (Laidlaw more often than not) used for example in the closed seniors and juniors prewar was a remarkably durable and long-lasting material, witness the number of such cars that still have original and completely serviceable seats showing little wear even after 70 years or so. I agree that Bedford cord didn't wear as well as the wood broadcloth.

Though it's not stain-resistant, to me the easy choice for a closed prewar car is the original style wood broadcloth. Readily available in many patterns and weights.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
all bedford cord upholstery was an option on some pre-wars (the 41 interiors show both broadcloth and bedford cord). The style is finer ribbing than, for example, the 48 leather/cord combination

Posted on: 2010/12/20 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I saw a photo of the interior of a 56 Packard Executive interior that looked like it had leather and fabric, only the leather was where the fabric is on my car (seat inserts). It looked original and I am thinking that might be an option for me.

One more question about the 56 Exec is what was the original headliner material and color (my interior code is 43)?

Bob

Posted on: 2010/12/20 21:01
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My 54 clipper front seat uses zig-zag springs and thick foam originally, while the back seat was more conventional coil spring construction. So this may be a difference between juniors and seniors.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 10:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Of course the 56 Caribbean used no springs at all, just the boat-type cushion on a platform. It does surprise me how comfortable they are, even on a longish (6 hours or so) drive.

PS - IMO there are few car seats that can match the comfort of the 22nd/23rd series Custom 8s.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Caribbean seats are comfortable which is surprising given it's just the foam rubber. Since it looks nothing like what you find in upholstery shops, wonder what kind it is and if available somewhere. Wasn't there a recall early on to change them because the first version was too hard?

Posted on: 2010/12/21 11:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved