Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Oil Consumption
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
... How about a 5th way:

IF positive valves seals are controling the oil to at least a satisfactory or optimal level then why use the spring baffles WITH positive valve seals in the SAME engine???

I believe the baffles were added when the valve seals were not controlling the oil adequately. They could be installed easier than taking the heads apart to install new seals. That's what I recall.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/4 12:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Let's remember there were two styles of baffles, those meant for field service and those that were factory installed. Factory units installed under the valve springs, and the field service units installed on the rocker arm stanchions. Details are in a Service Counselor.

Were they really necessary? My 56 Carib is a very late car, assembled early June 1956, and with a properly numbered early engine #, C-1137 it does not have the baffles and also uses no oil between changes. The SC does not, as most TSBs do, indicate the Utica plant engine numbers at which the change took place but is merely identified as "1955 and early 1956".

Posted on: 2011/3/4 14:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Money ????? I don't quite understand.
Let me rephrase the question:

If one has positive valve seals ALREADY installed, then why would one spend any money...
IF positive valves seals are controling the oil to at least a satisfactory or optimal level then why use the spring baffles WITH positive valve seals in the SAME engine???

PV8,

No need to get complicated, you answered the question in the second paragraph. Your real question is WHY there is a NEED for for people to spend money on these parts. The answer is that people often spend money simply because a smart entrepreneur is offering them something and implying that they need it. Y'know, makin' money.

If there is a real or perceived or even potential problem where such parts can be of help, rebuilders may have different approaches... seals, baffles, both... or neither. There are apparently many Packard V8s out there that have required no "fixes," and hold their oil just fine.

That doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad idea to install some recommended parts when doing a rebuild on an engine that did not use oil excessively. In that case, it's just an extra ounce of prevention for the rebuilder.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 22:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved