Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: What do I Have ?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fred, I was speaking in terms of selling class, not construction. But I figured the slings and arrows would be inbound.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 16:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Kevin,

Even if you're speaking selling class I respectfully disagree. The big Buicks of the late 30's, series 80/90 Roadmaster/Limited were way way above "junior Packard" Six/120 in price, weight, build quality, they were more comparable to the Senior 37-38 Super 8.

Compare Buick to Cadillac as Packard Junior to Senior??
A Buick 80/90 was nipping at the heels of Cadillac territory while the 35-39 Packard 120 was chumpchange in all ways to the Packard Standard 8, Super 8, V12.

Better analogy perhaps Lincoln Zephyr with its anemic V12 to massive Lincoln K, or more recently 61-up Dodge Dart to full size Polara/880. These do not share chassis/ engine etc as Packard Junior/Senior 35-39 do not with the exception of the 39 Super 8 which to me was a car that never should have been.

This is a nice place to be nice and have a spirited disagreement.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 18:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Hey you Big Hitters have left me in the dust. So the Packard I have been given is a 1938 4 dr Model 8 cyl Deluxe with 2 side mounted tires called a Junior Packard? You have my head spinning. ha ha It had just stopped spinning from being given this big boat.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 21:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
You have a 1938 Packard Eight Model 1601 4 door touring sedan. I do not think Deluxe is a part of the designation.

It has as an accessory 2 sidemounted tires, sometimes referred to in sales literature as "deluxe equipped", but that is not part of the model description.

We have not left you in the dust, we're here to help you get it going and enjoy it. In return we'd like to know what bottle or lucky stone we should rub so we can get free Packards too, I'll settle for a '39 Brunn V-12.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 21:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
If truth be known, I stopped by last year and it was so hot inside their farm house they only had two fans running I fixed up and old air conditioner in the first floor. I have known them for years and use to talk to the MR about cars and he would tell stories about the ways to fix the old ones. He said he had an old Packard in the barn but I never paid it no mind. Until last month when she said I could have it if I wanted and could get it out of the upper floor of the barn. So keep the information coming and I will advise when I get it out. Dale

Posted on: 2011/7/27 22:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Further on the Junior/Senior analogy. A Buick to Cadillac comparison cannot be a junior/senior. Think of a Buick Electra to a Cadillac Cimmaron The terminology comes from the designation to identify the father and son with the same names. John Smith Sr/John Smith Jr. They have the same name and same DNA. A Buick and a Caddy have neither.

A 37 Packard Super 8 is a senior, bigger, more powerful.
A 37 six/120 is smaller, lighter, less powerful and has the same "DNA" as can be seen in the styling, ornaments and the many other influences such as upholstery fabrics, hubcaps etc. The two cars standing next to each other are obviously related.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 8:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Well put.
The analogy to GM divisions is breaking down because the positioning of the GM division became increasingly overlapping and blurred as time went on. For 1938, here's a stab at where the Packard products might compete:

Six vs Pontiac/Oldsmobile
Eight (120) vs Buick/LaSalle
Super Eight vs Biggest Buicks/Cadillac 62, 60S
Twelve vs Cadillac 75, V16

The GM makes still have some shared styling cues at this point - they all look similar for 1938 except for Chevy.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 9:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Thanks. It took a few days of cogitating to come up with a better exlanation. Rome wasn;t built in a day, it took at least two.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 9:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Back to the VIN tag: Although the 38's used the decaying decal, I think Packard still put the vin on the top side of driver's side frame rail at that time. So, if you scrape through any crud about midway between the master cylinder the Left Front shock absorber mount, you may find the VIN.

FYI, I have a 39 Six Sedan, very similar to the 38 body. Smaller engine of course, but a wonderful car. You'll enjoy it.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 11:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think Packard still put the vin on the top side of driver's side frame rail at that time.

Perhaps, though the only 1938 juniors I've actually seen with a stamped # there were vehicles sold as a "chassis" only, i.e. to Henney, or other coachbuilders. If someone with a factory-bodied 1938 junior can send a photo of a stamped VN on the frame (driver's side, about adjacent to the distributor) it would add a bit to our knowledge on this.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 12:16
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved