Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 »

Re: TrevorK's 1955 Packard Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
It is back up and running! A slight oil leak at the base of the oil filter housing but just needs some tightening. I tried to upload a video but I guess it's too large. For the first time since I got this car there is NO lifter tick.

However....and there's always a however...the oil sending unit has stopped working as my dashboard gage is dead. I probably did something being so ham fisted.

Right now I'm just happy that the majority of the work is done. Now to troubleshoot a leak that I don't remember before from under the car.

Posted on: 2019/12/23 22:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on completing a not that easy repair. I hope working on old cars lived up to your new helpers expectations and he is anxious for more.

Quote:
and there's always a however...the oil sending unit has stopped working as my dashboard gage is dead. I probably did something being so ham fisted.

Check the wire on top of the sender. It is so close to where you were working it might have been pulled loose. If wire is still connected, use a short piece of jumper wire and temporarily touch the terminal and wire to ground while someone watches the gauge. If gauge starts to move toward the high end as soon as the ground is applied the sender is the issue. Once you prove the gauge moves to high then remove the ground. Sometimes the senders seem to stick and will eventually start working again but if not you can get a Napa OP-6091 which have been found to work well with the gauges.

Posted on: 2019/12/24 0:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Thanks for that! I'll have to take a look in the service manual to identify where the wire and sender are exactly.

I cannot keep the kid away from the car, he's already asking to take it to Prom in 2021. While my other half was distracted I had the kid get in the car and we went for a spin, his first ride in it. I think our favorite part was coming around a corner and hearing a wrench we lost in the engine bay "clink" to the ground.

Here's a link to it running:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjzsG-InjSI&feature=youtu.be

Idle is high per the break in procedure. Hopefully the snow holds off a little and I'll be able to get it out and feel if there's been any difference .

Posted on: 2019/12/24 9:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Oil sender is at top rear of engine, next to distributor. For future reference the temp sender is threaded into an adapter plate which is in turn bolted into rear of left head.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.14 KB)
209_5e0227ebe5b54.jpg 1114X896 px

Posted on: 2019/12/24 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Awesome, thanks, I was just skimming the manual so you saved me some time.

Posted on: 2019/12/24 10:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Took it out today on a short, 30 mile round trip to the gym. Definitely far smoother running than before, didn't realize that it wasn't smooth before - if that makes sense.

More powerful too, far more eager to get up and go and the idling is far quieter. I'm honestly surprised at the improvement, I was just hoping to get rid of the annoying tick.

Posted on: 2019/12/25 0:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Oh and yes I simply knocked the wire off the oil sending unit, thanks for that tip.

Now I'm thinking the next project is going to be to replace the exhaust system. The passenger side has holes in the muffler and it's banging around under there. Though it looks like neither Kanter nor Max have the parts. May just head to a muffler shop over the winter.

Posted on: 2019/12/28 10:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Just kidding - the exhaust can wait until it stops snowing...probably sometime around May.

So last winter I had the car completely repainted and noticed recently that they didn't re-aim the headlights when they put everything back together. I took off the headlamp doors and "plop" the headlights fell right into my hands. The marvelous, wonderful body shop clearly lost the aiming screws and didn't bother to replace them.

It gets better, I had the lights on assuming I was going to re-aim them, and as they popped out the wires made contact with the metal and well...I'm sure you can guess what happened. So the next job? Replacing the highlight cables. For good measure I also purchased a multimeter so maybe now I can figure out where that parasitic draw is...and why my clock isn't working.

Good times! Pictures to follow.

Posted on: 2020/1/1 15:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
*sigh*

So if it's not one thing it's another. Long story short turns out my engine probably needs to be rebuilt.

I personally don't have the tools to perform this and the cost of obtaining the parts and the tools comes exceptionally close to the cost of paying someone else to do it.

While I've always wanted to rebuild an engine I just don't have the confidence that I can remove and re-install it safely or without issue.

I've contacted Jack Vines since he's just 800 miles north of me, however, my only concern is lead time. Since Jack is in high demand (understandably so) he's at least 6 months out.

Normally this wouldn't be a concern but there is a high likelihood that I will need to relocate within that timeframe, and it probably won't be this side of the Mississippi.

Therefore I'm researching shops in the Salt Lake valley.

There are quite a few, which isn't surprising, but many won't touch a Packard - also not surprising. I did die a little inside when someone said "Packard? V8? That's just like the Ford 239 right?"

I'll post updates as I figure things out.

Posted on: 2020/2/5 9:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Trevor,

Sometimes the best things take some time. Jack not only has a great reputation in the Packard community, but also in the Studebaker community.

The reason many won't touch a Packard is because they don't know the intricacies and quirks of a Packard V8. Not surprising when you consider this engine was only in production for 2 years.

Ask an engine builder what running changes were made and what S-P Service Bulletins will apply, and you will probably get a deer-in-the-headlights look.

As Jack would say, 'Your engine, your money, your choice'.

Posted on: 2020/2/5 18:18
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved