Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 25 »

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I would love to have an engine bay looking this good.

Some ideas to consider;
You have decals on the air cleaner, but none of the rest. Try the Packard Club for these.

Looks like the 2x4 heat shields are missing by the manifold and the fuel filter.

Are you missing the hood bumpers on the fenders?

Isn't there a wire loom holder missing on the fender, or maybe not seen in the pictures.

Do the wire junction blocks have the paper insulators between them.

Should the ground strap run between the battery and the top of the battery holder?

Posted on: 2015/1/15 22:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another question would be if you have the short squarish rubber channel that covers the voltage regulator terminals.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.09 KB)
209_54b8930feddff.jpg 464X304 px

Posted on: 2015/1/15 23:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
A few things pop out very quickly here:

? Apparently there are no pushbuttons on this senior 1956 Packard thus all wire harness and relays are missing along with rain/moisture guard from the driver's inner fender.

? Retainer clamp on right-hand engine head is missing for the heater hose.

? Braided ground strap from engine to battery should be routed under the battery clamp bracket rather than over.

? Temperature shield is missing from the front carburetor choke assembly.

? Spark plug wire looms shown here are outdated type that were deleted/upgraded by the factory with new design looms and large rubber grommets.

? Metal ID tag is missing from the generator.

? Anti-short rubber protector cover is missing from the connector leads at the regulator on the core support (these are almost always missing).

? No decals on the oil filter housing or oil filler cap.

Posted on: 2015/1/16 0:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
My original 56 400 had the earlier spark plug wire brackets which I upgraded to the newer ones. My car was about half way through the production run, so either type would be correct for early in the run cars. Also the rain gutter was to protect the pushbutton wiring and relays, if column shift Ultramatic is on the car the wiring and rain gutter would not be there.

Posted on: 2015/1/16 7:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

packards1 wrote:
My original 56 400 had the earlier spark plug wire brackets which I upgraded to the newer ones. My car was about half way through the production run, so either type would be correct for early in the run cars. Also the rain gutter was to protect the pushbutton wiring and relays, if column shift Ultramatic is on the car the wiring and rain gutter would not be there.

Perhaps what I wrote is misunderstood here.

RE: the spark plug wire looms...
Yes, I have owned several 1956 Packards that had the older-style spark plug wire looms. Didn't say these were not legitimate items. Only mentioned that this design was deleted. Dealers upgraded/retrofitted any cars that were brought in and found to have a mis-fire or shorting problem (which is what the updated looms were supposed to rectify in the first place). Somewhere in my records I have a factory service bulletin. L.A.'s Frost & French dealership did retrofits and so did Earle C. Anthony. Others did too. And the factory changed them over. So yes, either style can be legit, but if I were restoring a car I certainly would want to put the most up-to-date Packard spec stuff under the hood. But this is merely a personal preference I guess.

RE: the pushbuttons, wire harness, rain trough, etc... Again... already pointed out that this car appears to not be equipped with pushbuttons (actually it has a brand-X transmission), so these items would obviously not be equipped. Just mentioned the moisture guard as part of the pushbutton array that normally would be on the driver's side splash apron...IF the car came with pushbuttons. My own Scottish Heather/Dover White 1956 Four Hundred (I'm 2nd owner) came ordered new from a Packard dealer in SoCal without pushbuttons, so I am very intimately familiar with this fact. Yes.

Posted on: 2015/1/16 13:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
We say in Spanish: Dos ojos ven mas que uno. Two eyes see more than one. In this particular case, advantages of the internet, many eyes, and expert's eyes, see things. Thank you all.

Addressing some of your comments:

Yes, the car is not equipped with a pushbutton transmission, and at this time not even with a Packard transmission but a Chrysler's unit from the 80's or so, fortunately working very fine.

Since the car is working fine, I will keep the older type of wire looms.

As for the rest, I will work on the details all of you mention. I believe I have the decals already and just forgot installing them... that should be an easy task, same as several of the others mentioned.

Doubt, the battery braided cable, when mentioned that it should be routed "under the battery clamp bracket rather than over" (forgive me for asking but I am not a native English speaker), means that the battery square frame should press it against the battery itself?

What will probably not be easy is to find the temperature shield for the front carburetor. Any ideas or leads as to where to find one?

Thanks again!
victor

Posted on: 2015/1/16 18:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Note the braided battery ground cable beneath the battery hold-down bracket.

There are two heat shields, the one that shields the front automatic choke housing from the hot fan blast is very easy to fabricate from a piece of steel sheet. Perhaps someone will loan you one for a pattern.

The second shield blocks the airway passage between the bottom of the intake manifold and the tappet valley cover and this one is a bit more complex but still something you could make. It has a leather or rubber anti-rattle strips at the top, stapled to the steel. Photo enclosed.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.82 KB)
177_54b99d008a1fa.jpg 1050X693 px

jpg  (106.67 KB)
177_54b99d4bb7ab5.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (145.10 KB)
177_54b99d58730b4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/1/16 18:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I think I get it for the first shield... but where exactly does the second shield go?

They appear as they could be made, providing I could get some measurements. Anybody out there with the shields that could send pics and measurements?

Thanks,
victor

Posted on: 2015/1/17 14:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The second shield goes in front of the intake. It is held in place by the first two bolts on the tappet cover.
The hole goes on the drivers side.

Posted on: 2015/1/17 15:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks Randy!

Am I correct in assuming the first shield goes painted black (it appears so in the pics) and the second one, engine color?

Posted on: 2015/1/18 23:49
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved