Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 136

Ross, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Well ladies & gentleman, ; I fully bled the brakes on my '55 400 and look forward to driving her very soon. I also placed my Michelin X radials on her and look forward to having her aligned in short order. I'm trusting that I followed all the original manufacturer recommendations and I'll soon have a car that has no problems stopping on modern roadways. (And yes, I've had the BTV completely rebuilt by modern standards and will share the rebuilder via PM if requested).

kg

Attach file:

jpg  (141.06 KB)
20_4bf9c6708a61d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/5/23 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Jed,

Did ABS install the unit for you? As when I bought my unit they were installing one in a 56 400 at that time. Noise Vs Safety...

I still have a bit of work to be done on the 55 before we'll get to reinstalling the engine and testing the new brake setup.

Mat

Posted on: 2010/5/25 21:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Mat,
King's Restorations in Cloverdale, Virginia installed the system for me. They did get advice from ABS on the system while they were installing it but the design of the installation was not ABS.

The pump and reservoir went under the fender where the vacuum tank normally resides and the master cylinder was installed on the outside of the frame rail under the driver's door.

The brake pedal is an aftermarket unit that was installed in the hole in the frame where the manual brake/cluch rod would go on some Packard models. The end of the aftermarket pedal that normally would extend through the floor was cut off and a rod installed from the pedal arm to the Packard brake pedal. This allowed us to leave the Packard pedal in its stock position.

A rod at the base of the pedal extends from the pedal base through the hole in the frame to the outside of the frame rail just forward of the master cylinder. Here an actuator rod extends to the master cylinder to activate the brake system.

It sounds more complicated than it really is and this setup really works great! If you'd like to give Montie King a call (King's Restorations) his phone number is 540-966-3911 and he would be glad to answer questions. He may even be able to put together a kit whith the pedal parts for you. I'll also be posting pictures soon.
Jed

Posted on: 2010/5/26 4:51
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
One of the issues on these kinds of things is the price. Of course, with enough $$$, one can solve virtually any problem.

As an order of magnitude, what did your conversion cost?

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/26 5:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kev, the 400 looks great! Can't wait to see pics of you behind the wheel enjoying your labors.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
I realise price is a factor, but I'd rather spend the money and ensure I have a safe car. considering what I've already spent on the car whats a few more $$$ ?

Thanks for the info Jed, i'll speak with my mechanic tomorrow or the next day and pass the info on

Posted on: 2010/5/26 8:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Craig,
The ABS system cost about $1,000 and the other parts about $200. With labor the entire installation was right about $2,000. It's a little pricey but considering how much I have in the car, it's worth it to me to have safe brakes that I can count on.
Jed

Posted on: 2010/5/26 22:26
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jed,

Thanks for the cost info. Compare that to about $500 for a pro BTV rebuild and paying some competent shop to R&R (maybe $300?). Then add the cost of an accident when the BTV unexpectedly fails and the electroboost comes out on the cheap side.

BTW, how's the 1:1 pedal pressure?

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/27 1:29
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Craig,
It's actually about 3 or 4:1. We get that from the aftermarket pedal assembly. When I get some pictures posted it will be easier to see it than to try to understand my poor description. If the ABS system would work with 1:1 the installation would have been far simpler.
Jed

Posted on: 2010/5/27 5:22
Jed
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tomsriv
See User information
Hi all I want to share my story.
I had an BTV failure on my friends restored 53 Caribbean. I was using it for the Christmas parade last Christmas. It hadn't been driven in at least 6 months. I backed it out of the garage, braked a few times, then lost the brakes. I threw it into park. I didn't think to use the Ebrake as I was unfamiliar with the car and panicing since it isn't my car. Luckily the parking pawl on the Chrysler 727 trans slowed the car and bushes on the end of the driveway stopped it.
I restarted the car in park and blue/white smoke blew out the exhaust for a few seconds (we later figured this was the fluid which had leaked past the seal). We checked the reservoir and it was empty. After refilling the reservoir the brakes worked fine and I went on to do the parade. If it had happened during the parade I could have taken out the Chatsworth Cheerleading squad, or killed Bart Simpson. Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart Simpson) rode in the Caribbean.
Needless to say I drove slow the rest of the day, but I won't drive it anymore. My friend still drives it even after I told him my story. Some people are so hard headed!

I'm restoring a 56 Super Clipper. Its a budget restoration, so I think the electric power boost is out of the question. I like Craigs setup. I was also thinking about hydraulic power boosters like those used on GM diesel cars in the 80s.

Here is a pic from the prior year with a different ride along.

Attach file:

gif  (146.47 KB)
704_4c05eb7dbd5ce.gif 648X486 px

Posted on: 2010/6/2 0:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved