Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

Gar, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific | Stop Light Switch, Where is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thanks Howard! I'm on it.

TC

Posted on: 2021/7/5 17:05
 Top  Print   

1954 Packard Pacific | 359 aluminum head / torque specs / torque order
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard, change up.....how often does my 359 aluminum head need to be re-torqued? What are the torque specs and torque order?

TC

Posted on: 2021/7/9 11:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific | 359 aluminum head / torque specs / torque order
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others will better have an answer on the question of how often the head needs retorquing but here is the other info requested.

The tightening order is from the service manual and the torque spec for the aluminum head is from Tech Bulletin 54T-2.

Attach file:

jpg  order.jpg (264.66 KB)
209_60e87d190ebae.jpg 1352X1786 px

jpg  spec.jpg (45.49 KB)
209_60e87d291b4f0.jpg 1920X380 px

Posted on: 2021/7/9 11:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Keep checking the torque and tightening as needed until the fasteners longer require further tightening to meet the torque spec. Typically you may reach this point on the 3rd, perhaps 4th check, perhaps 6 months to a year after the car is put back into service.

Posted on: 2021/7/9 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thank you.

TC

Posted on: 2021/7/12 11:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific | Stop Light Switch -ok / back up light switch / where is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard, all set, the Napa SL134 and Autozone/Duralast F4805 stop light switches fit perfectly. The Napa came with plumbers tape on it but did have a not approved for purple silicon DOT 5 brake fluid note attached. I use DOT 5 brake fluid. I still used the Napa switch and it worked fine. Another question, my backup lights don't work. I surmise that switch is toast as well. Where is the location of the back up light switch on the trans?

TC

Posted on: 2021/7/12 11:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific | Stop Light Switch -ok / back up light switch / where is it?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On a 49-54 Ultra, unless the trans is the 54 gearstart the backup light switch is on a bracket down toward the bottom of the steering column where the pie shaped sector detent and shift lever assy is located. Switch and bracket is adjusted so the plunger is directly under the shift lever and gets pushed almost all the way in when the lever is fully seated in the reverse stop of the detent assy. The 54 switch gets power from the aux circuit breaker on the back of the cluster that is fed by the ign switch. I believe that is the CB closest to door.

On a gearstart it is a combo neutral start and backup switch positioned on the steering column higher up -- a few inches away from the firewall.

Posted on: 2021/7/12 11:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thanks again. I'm on it.

TC

Posted on: 2021/7/12 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard,
I believe I found the backup light switch. Can the switch be unscrewed from the bracket? The vendor sells the combo, but I don't need a bracket, just the switch. It was very visible at the end of the steering column in the engine bay.

TC

Attach file:

jpg  54packbackupswitch1.JPG (60.30 KB)
201206_60ec971a9e709.jpg 462X571 px

jpg  54packbackupswitch2.JPG (33.41 KB)
201206_60ec9724218dc.jpg 483X414 px

Posted on: 2021/7/12 14:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should be able to loosen the nut and either pull the switch out of the bracket or if it is not loose maybe it is one that unthreads too. The bracket does not need to be disturbed to change the switch.

I believe the switch is similar to earlier switches that can be opened up to clean or repair. Most have the fiber back or end with the terminals attached held to the metal case by some bent over prongs. Gently straighten the prongs while being careful to hold things together to keep everything under control. When the prongs are straight carefully remove the fiber and innards using whatever pressure is needed to keep any springs pushing against components from shooting anything out across the room.

Posted on: 2021/7/12 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved