Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 175

Duane Gunn, 53 Cavalier, Todd W. White, Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Knee-Action Shocks- Work Best with Fluid!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks so much for this description.

I jacked up the frame at the rear of the arm behind the front tire until the tire was off the ground, put a jack stand under it, and removed the front tire.

I moved the jack to under the arm and spring support bracket (see lower photo) and jacked it up until the knee-action shock arms were off the rubber bumper (upper photo) indicated by arrow. If this is right, I'll put a jack stand under there if possible and remove the cotter pin, nut and bolt.

I get that when the bolt connecting the arms to the wheel support is removed, the hub could flop down towards me, so I'll prop that up ahead of time.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.91 KB)
1067_5a91c2d0bfca2.jpg 1024X672 px

jpg  (83.79 KB)
1067_5a91c2dfa3304.jpg 1508X984 px

Posted on: 2018/2/24 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Moved the jack around to the side, but couldn't fit a stand under there, too, but it's ok because the frame jack stand is in place.

Used some baling wire to hold the hub up.

Pulled the cotter pin, and removed the nut (15/16") and washer.

The bolt itself is another issue. There's a fair amount of rust, so this is an opportunity to clean it up. Ten years ago I had taken it a suspension place and gave them a box of rubber parts to replace worn out parts. They gave me several items back. Lo and behold, the insulators for the upper support arms were in there, so now this method is paying off....

IF I can get the bolt out. I tried unscrewing it from the head, just in case there were more threads. It turns but does not move out. I got a block of wood and a hammer. Using wood means you won't damage anything. But it still doesn't move.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'll squirt some blaster in there since I'm replacing the insulators, which look pretty squished.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.47 KB)
1067_5a91cdfcb395d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (56.43 KB)
1067_5a91ce06a60ac.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/2/24 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I got a block of wood and a hammer. Using wood means you won't damage anything. But it still doesn't move. "

Joe,

Something harder than wood but softer than steel is needed. A brass punch or "drift" should do the job.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 15:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
There is a thick round steel collar/bushing/sleeve between the bolt and the upper outer 338830 bushings. These rust together and cause great frustration in removal. If you can verify that the bolt is turning and the sleeve is not, then it a matter of a bigger hammer to get past rough spots. If the sleeve is rusted to the bolt, well...it is going to fight you. Who will win....you decide. And then its a matter of sourcing a new collar/bushing and bolt. I know I have some NOS bolts, but not the sleeves...pretty simple to have a couple made, but not on a Sunday...

DAF

Posted on: 2018/2/24 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
DON"T REMOVE THE BOLT! I was referring only to the tiny plug where you add oil. You don't need to disconnect any suspension components, at least I didn't.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 16:15
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Will wonders never cease. This simple project gets better and better. I hope you're getting some vicarious satisfaction and frustration out of this.

OK, the bolt doesn't want to come out. I sprayed some WD40 on it and used a small wire brush to clean it. I discovered the bolt passes through pilot caster camber bushings. I had some made in in the '70s, so if I can get this cleaned up, an alignment shop could figure out and install the correct ones, if they need to change.

Any suggestions on getting the bolt out? Is it just rusted in there?
Keep spraying and pounding with board and hammer?

Just saying, 57 users online at the moment. Anyone know what to do?

Remember, my career was as a Creative Director. If you needed an ad to promote Packard knee-action shocks, I could do that for you. But this, not so much.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.11 KB)
1067_5a91d795941e5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.95 KB)
1067_5a91d7a41d2d1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/2/24 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Try using a ratchet and socket and screw out the bolt. It may screw itself out.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks Mal, David, Joey and tolandis,

I'm going to give it a rest. The bolt turns just fine. I'm soaking it. But I understand from David that if the bushings/sleeve and the bolt shaft have rusted together, it's virtually impossible to get it out. The last time these were touched was in the 70s. I'm going to keep spraying it hoping some will work its way inside. Otherwise it will have to cut at each end inside the washer. I'm going to wait for John on this one.

This is why it's a good idea to fill the shocks by removing the bolt every 10,000, not 100,000, miles. Joey I think your method is fine for your car. But now that I found the rubber insulators, I'll have to get the bolt out to put them in.

And thanks to everyone who looked at this and shook their head. More later.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
A bolt puller with long arms might be able to get a grip? Some of the pullers have a cup and not a point at the end of the screw.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 20:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Worse case scenario, use a torch and melt out the bushing.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 21:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved