Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

John Brinegar, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Seeking My Clipper's History
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
This past weekend I went back and organized the restoration receipts for my Clipper. Among them was and oldest receipt -- a normal vehicle service receipt from a service center in Albuquerque in April 1962. At the time the Clipper had about 52,000 miles plus change. A closer inspection revealed a name -- Leroy Anderson. This got me to thinking ...

I went on the Internet and there was a Mr. Anderson listed who had lived in Albuquerque and now lives in San Angelo, Texas. He is 67 years old. Doing a little math, I realized that Mr. Anderson would have been 17 years old in 1962, definitely old enough to drive and own a car. I got my first car -- a 1960 Ford Sunliner -- in 1967 when I was 16. The Clipper would have been seven years old, which is about right for a lot of teenagers' first cars. Could this Mr. Anderson be the same as the owner listed on the service receipt?

Intrigued, I then went to Facebook and quickly found Mr. Anderson. I sent him a message containing the details of my search, as well as a few photos of the car to possibly jar his memory. Unfortunately, I have not heard back from him. I figure that toward the end of this week, I will try to contact him again.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 8:04
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
MrBumble, good detective work. I hope you get a reply from Mr. Anderson. My guess is it was probably his father who owned the Clipper. We are waiting to hear about the latest on your search.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/16 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Well, I've got to tell you that I am unhappy with where I am at this point in my search. Those who I had hoped would have replied to my inquiries. I have to guess that they either:

a) Think I'm some kind of nut;

b) Do not have any knowledge but don't think it matters whether they respond or not; or

c) They don't check their e-mail or Facebook messages.

While I am hoping that it is the latter, I really don't know and thus, I am bummed out. But I will continue to persist because a) I must be some kind of a nut!

Posted on: 2013/1/21 18:47
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Just keep trying, it's worth the effort.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/21 22:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I feel like I am reaching the end of my rope. Today I received an e-mail from the Studebaker Museum telling me that it does not have a copy of the Clipper's build sheet. Another dead end. I just sent an e-mail the previous owner; hopefully he will respond, but since I received nothing from my letter to him, I'm not holding out much hope this time.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 13:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
there is only so much you can do. create a new history now.

i haven't got much on my car either, but it doesn't bother me....it has a new home. ;0)

Posted on: 2013/1/24 13:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Hang in there, you may get a response. Myself, I rarely check facebook and never for messages. A lot of us are wrapped up in our lives and can only do so much on a computer. Just sayin.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
You are right, Hank. My car does have a good home and a bright future. I don't think that I will make up a story about it, however. It really makes me feel good to see how much time and effort you have put into your car, and I look forward to the day when you and I can wait at the line for the green light on the Christmas tree at the local drag strip to see which one of us can take the other in a quarter mile!

Just kidding! I was just thinking about what a drag (no pun) it was when you found out about the original Ultramatic in your car and how it was trashed by some bonehead who thought a Clipper should be able to take a Bel Air or a Fairlane off the line. I'd bet before that happened the gears in that Ultramatic must have shifted a lot better than the gears in that guy's brain, wouldn't you say?

But I digress ... I will still try to find out whatever I can and will continue to keep you posted.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/1/24 15:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Just kidding! I was just thinking about what a drag (no pun) it was when you found out about the original Ultramatic in your car and how it was trashed by some bonehead who thought a Clipper should be able to take a Bel Air or a Fairlane off the line. I'd bet before that happened the gears in that Ultramatic must have shifted a lot better than the gears in that guy's brain, wouldn't you say?

Apparently he had a brother. I have parts of what's left of a 55 Ultra in my backyard which came from a Clipper where the owner thought he and the car would fit in well on a Porsche rally. They didn't.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 15:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I recently modified my Clipper Constellation to lay to rest the myth that the Twin Ultramatic cannot handle drag racing and that the Packard makes a superlative funny car.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.18 KB)
5003_5101e360c96ea.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/1/24 20:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved