Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Mobil Economy Run: Specific Packard results?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not a Caddy in the crowd. Gee? I wonder why??? Ba ha ha ha.

Posted on: 2015/1/4 9:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
"Most people I have known who bought Packards new said they were always putting gas in them."

Maybe the tanks were smaller?

I can't think of much of a difference in number of trips to the gas station between a '54 DeSoto (17.9770) and the '54 Clipper Deluxe (17.8957): .08, hm, that is, eight hundredths of a mile per gallon. That is, 6.6 more feet per gallon.

But carrying out MPG results to five decimal places is proof positive that these have got to be scientifically sound test results, isn't it? Well, isn't it?

Once again, the only usefulness in these comparisons is that they create a nice promo for Mobil... which runs no risk of comparing their gas to any other brand.

(On the other hand, there was no need for these promos back then, most people never put gas in their cars. Just those @#&^$* Packards... )

Posted on: 2015/1/13 20:36
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Dec-jan 2015 check
13.45 miles/US gallon. (56 executive). Note i usualy do long warm ups.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Hydramatics were dual range even in 1955 and back. This referred to the 2 drive positions on the quadrant. One was for country driving (1 to 1 ratio) the other was for city driving (1.5 to 1). I have a 1956 Pontiac Chieftain that uses the older version without the separate park position on the quadrant. The Chieftains got the older style transmission.
I believe the Jet-away I think was Oldsmobile's name for the Hydramatic. In the Pontiac they are known as Strato-Streak and Strato Flite.
They have to have the control rod adjusted just right between carb and transmission or they shift hard or slip going from gear to gear....

John

Posted on: 2015/3/26 16:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe the 288 with a manual trans might approach 17 mpg, but a 54 Patrician is going to get around 8 mpg city and 12 mpg highway.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 19:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just about ANY engine of the pre e-ignition era can obtain much better gas mileage by lighter springs in distributor advance and jet the carb smaller and drop the float about 1/32". Run one heat range hotter on the spark plugs.
That will pick up at least 2 mpg more if not 4 mpg more but will mostly apply to hiway gas mileage.

I'd like to try it on my 56 Exec but just not compelled to research it at this time.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 21:19
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved