Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 45

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: new guy questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the contrary, the more the merrier. We both think about alike on the subject and you covered a few things I didn't. I'm also having a heck of a time tonight with time outs and loooooooong page loads.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
thanks for the info guys. The ultra is a bit out of my band of knowledge. I will be adding an auxiliary tranny cooler. i know how bad heat is, and how only a little more than normal can cook things.

I understand shes not a racecar, i never intended her to be, but if i need to utilize that 374 4bbl, im assuming it should keep up?

one last question. are there any major does/donts for strapping this car to a trailer? imz aware of the obvious, you know, swaybars and the like, but is there anything special with the torsion level system?

Posted on: 2008/8/17 9:10
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Make sure suspension is turned OFF or battery disconnected.

Don't strap to any part of torsion bars or suspension. Use a frame member where possible, rear axle or cross member but not any part of suspension linkage. The two little brackets in front that hold the swaybar to frame look strong and convenient but don't use them because they'll bend or break.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
As to using your car's power, my car is used as daily transportation both for in-town and highway driving. Just made a 520 mile trip last week and have absolutely NO problem passing slower traffic at the drop of a hat. In normal highway driving you'll have NO problem using what you've got.

Drive the car and get a feel for it. It's fifty, plus, years old but if everything is in good condition and operating properly, you'll be pleasantly surprised. The fact that yours appears to have been run 80,000 miles already, taken care of and serviced regularly is in its favour. Do look everything over, paying particular attention to any engine noises, the brakes (you only have ONE master cylinder for both front and rear wheels and the Bendix Treadle-Vac system has its quirks). Get the Shop Manual, Parts Manual and applicable Service Counsellors. The folks, here, can resolve most points of confusion.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
the engine starts and runs quite well. It feels and sounds like the timing is out, but no knocks or pings.
i get what youre saying with the single resivour master cyl. any insight on the "quirks" of this system?

how does one turn off the suspension? ill probably disconnect the batt, but it would be nice to know.

thanks for the help guys. im leaving in a few hours to get it.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 11:36
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A picture is better than an explanation.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.41 KB)
209_48a85c4a0f5d1.jpg 800X294 px

jpg  (7.73 KB)
209_48a85c579d67e.jpg 190X264 px

Posted on: 2008/8/17 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
The Bendix Treadle-Vac system was vilified in Ralph Nader's book, "Unsafe at Any Speed." Several manufacturers used it for years before that and it's actually no more prone to catastrophic brake failure than any other single master cylinder reservoir system. Think about it. In a single master cylinder system ANY leak is going to cause brakes to fail if severe enough.

The Bendix system could however, draw all of the brake fluid out of the master cylinder and leave you with no warning and NO brakes. This occurred enough times to make the fact well-known but, far more common, was a situation where, when sitting with one's foot on the brake pedal, the pedal would gradually go to the floor. When it got there you had no brakes. This usually preceeded catastrophic brake failure as described above but - NOT ALWAYS. I may, at some time in future, convert to one of the more modern, dual master cylinder setups that Eric and Craig have done but, I am one of that generation that drove many thousands of miles in cars with the system and so, for now, have decided to live with it and keep a close eye on it. The alleged culprit spring was not included in any of the rebuild kits available when I rebuilt my system but had one fabricated to replace it and put a top-fill brake fluid reservoir on my car so that I could check brake fluid level every time I raise the bonnet in case any was disappearingwithout any attendant wheel cylinder/hose/master cylinder leaks being visible.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Car is paid for, and in my garage!

my brake pedal is wierd, though. it only travels about an inch and a half before it stops. there is more than enough braking to stop the car fine at slow speeds. high speeds have not been attempted.(obviously)It actually feels like a non powered system. my pedal does sink, but very slowly, and not every time the brakes are applied.

the Ultramatic seems nice and strong. the fluid is healthy smelling and bright pink.

There is no switch in the hole under the dash for the t/l system. There is a strange kind of switch under the dash beneath the ignition key. maybe someone put in a new switch? i havent gotten under there yet.

Loyd Smith, i had a 1966 dart with a single resivour m/c. i may convert it, but probably not. if you do put iin that top fill resivour system, i would love to see it.

if i can get some pics up, i will!

Posted on: 2008/8/17 19:36
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pedal and feel will be a bit hard as compared to modern systems. You can probably hear the vacuum hiss when it applies. One way to check would be get a feel when engine running and then turn off. It should apply 2-3 times before vacuum exhausted and then will be like pushing on a brick. If the vacuum check valve is inoperative that would mean no reserve store of vacuum which might account for your feeling it and not feeling it.

Not sure about the switch on Rt without more info but the speedo trip reset is on that side. Not under key--closer to between steering column & heater control. It is a round knurled knob on a stem that is about an inch long.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
my appologies. i looked again and found the switch for the t/l. i have the owners manual, and from the illustration, i thought the switch was closer to the edge of the dash, where i have a blank hole. the speedo reset is the strange switch i was thinking of.

Im happy i found this site!

Posted on: 2008/8/17 22:26
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved