Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1955-56 fender mirror
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

Personally, I have seen far more aftermarket mirrors than OE. While may look period-correct, I have also seen plenty of other styles from much later years, but those with a rectangular-shaped head look a bit out of character to me. In either case, I see more of these cars with side view mirrors mounted on the door body.

The placement of a radio antenna may have some impact on the decision. Although the factory template allows for a mirror to be mounted on the front fender in that case, the end result looks a bit crowded (to me).

The aftermarket mirrors that are presently mounted on the fenders of my Caribbean Hardtop have a screw and joint that allows the head to be rolled left-to-right, but I'm not about to mess with that after so many years - especially since I'm gonna replace 'em anyway.

The head of the factory-issue mirror can also be rolled a bit, and having them mounted further forward on the fender increases the field of view.

BTW, my dad once told me that he did not use the factory template when locating the mirrors on the fender, but eye-balled them for best view (whatever that means).

However, he recently added that the reason he went with fender mounting was for the view through the windshield - specifically, that the wipers kept that perspective clear of rain/snow (unlike the view through either front door window). Of course, that might not be much of a consideration for fair-weather only use.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 12:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For 1956, did Packard and Clipper still use the belt-molding type mirrors that '51-'54 had? My 1956 Clipper which I hope to have running soon will need mirrors as it has none now and I don't want to use fender-mounted mirrors.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 16:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, the mirrors did not mount on the belt molding.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 16:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Don -

The 55-56 version could be mounted on the front fender(s) or front door(s). Refer to the factory template that Owen_Dyneto kindly provided earlier in this thread.

See my previous post #4 in this thread where the mirror (though this is the bad one I got form American Arrow) is mounted to the body of the front door - located per the factory template.

On cars with twin rear antennae, I just happen to prefer a pair of mirrors on the front fenders.

Posted on: 2019/7/18 10:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
A few weeks ago, I took my dad out for dinner on his 92nd birthday - to the Quaker Steak & Lube in Warren, OH.

Normally, we would go to the original location in Sharon, PA for their hot wings and cold beer, but I wanted him to visit an old friend - the 1956 Caribbean convertible that's on a lift in the dining area at the Warren locations.

You see, while the one and only owner of the car was from Warren, he actually drove across the state line, to Bell Motor Sales in Sharon, PA, to buy this car back in the summer of 1956 - where my dad worked as a mechanic. Dad remembers doing the pre-delivery inspection on that car.

As I munched on my order of wings and took a swig of a beer, I looked up and smiled when I saw an OE side view mirror - mounted on the left front fender. When we were finished eating, my dad got up and took a walk around the car, and noticed that there wasn't a mirror on the other side of the car. Go figure.

My dad has never been one to say much about occasions like this, but as we drove off, he said, "I bet there aren't too many guys out there who can say they had dinner with a car that they worked on 63 years ago.

Posted on: 2019/8/27 17:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I just received a pair of the "made in China" fender mirrors that are on eBay and they look relatively authentic from a distance but they are very cheaply made and look it up close. For me that's not a problem as my car doesn't even run yet but they are certainly not suitable for a show car and are barely good enough for a daily driver!

Posted on: 2019/8/27 21:12
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved