Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1946 Packard 6
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Seems I can only put one PDF per post, even though they show to be plenty smaller than the allowed limit.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 88.88 KB; Hits: 43

Posted on: 2015/3/29 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
last one.....

I can't think for the price one could go to wrong.....

Attach file:

pdf Size: 93.91 KB; Hits: 41

Posted on: 2015/3/29 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Must be a "loaded" question? I guess not knowing how the car has been treated in its 69,000 miles....

John

Posted on: 2015/3/31 16:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I can see in the photos I believe you got your moneys worth. It is a Clipper and IMO, even though a junior model without some of the bells and whistles, still one of the nicest body styles Packard ever produced. It looks to be essentially complete with no major damage so another big plus.

I don't know if the radio was in the trunk but if not, those are available for not too much. There was one on ebay just a few days ago for relatively little. Of course, they are AM only and there is not much worth listening to on AM even if you had one. Didn't see enough detail on some of the photos to say if other items are missing. You might post a good photo of the engine compartment.

As you get into it, whether you still feel it was worth the purchase will depend on what you find that needs work -- and then what you want to do with the car. Hopefully the seller was honest and all it takes is a coil to get it going. It would have been nice if it were running but then the price might have reflected that fact. To restore to standard will take some bucks -- at least cosmetically. I see some expenses for chrome right off and you can go from there. That gets into a whole other decision -- restore and how complete, or go another direction.

On attaching multiple photos, I haven't tried pdfs but should be the same as jpgs. You need to choose a single file, attach it, select another and attach that and select and attach another etc etc. When all are attached and you see their names below the buttons then push the submit button. I believe there is a limit on the number of attachments but BigKev can say for sure.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 16:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
$1200 sounds like a good price to me. In my opinion, sticking with 6 volt is just fine as long as you use 00 cable for the battery. Napa sells it by the foot with brass connectors. Just use it on both the ground and the hot wire and clean the frame up before you bolt on the ground and you should be fine.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 17:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
This car has been on CL for quite awhile. If I remember correctly, the original asking price was in the neighborhood of $2000. Given the lack of interest, I'd certainly see if he'd cut the price even further.

In the ad the seller claims that the car is from Georgia. If, in the intervening 68 years, it spent any time in the rust-belt I'd look closely for tinworm. The trunk floor, the driver's footwell, the front bumper filler and splash pans, and rocker bottoms seem to be common spots for rot on Clippers. Also check the trunk lip behind the weatherstrip as this is another spot that likes to erode.

Also, that car looks like it's been sitting for more than five years. My question to the seller would be: if all it needed were a coil, why not just replace it and sell the car as a running vehicle? I suspect there's more going on than just a bad coil so do make sure that he can at least demonstrate that the engine is free. Machine work is expensive and not getting any cheaper.

Good luck. Clippers are lovely cars and I'd hate to see this one end up in a scrap yard.

Scott G.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 0:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks Scott, the type of input I was looking for. I figured since it didn't have a title might be a sticking point on it too....

John

Posted on: 2015/4/2 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Check with your BMV about the title as each state has different requirements for "importing" out-of-state cars. In Ohio, a rep from the BMV had to come out and compare the Illinois title to the vehicle VIN number and then sign off on a form. Frankly, the inspector had no idea what he was looking at and as Packards don't have standard VINs, I probably could have talked him into accepting anything. Of course, Penna may be more strict with these matters.

Also, I seem to recall hearing that Georgia doesn't title older vehicles. So if it really is from GA, you may not have a "lost title" issue.

Scott G.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
No Packard this time, maybe another time.....

Thanks for the info on these fine cars. John

Posted on: 2015/4/9 19:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved